A particle does not have just a single path through space and time.
在时空中 一个粒子并不只有唯一的路径
Instead, there is an uncertainty principle according to which both the exact position
相反 有这么一个不确定原理 它表明 一个粒子的准确位置
and velocity of a particle can never be known.
和准确速度永不可能同时知道
I began investigating the effect quantum mechanics might have on particles near a black hole.
我开始研究 黑洞附近的粒子上 的量子力学效应
I found that particles could escape from a black hole that black holes are not completely black.
我发现 粒子实际上 是可以逃离黑洞的 因此 黑洞并不完全是黑的
At first I didn't believe it.But when I redid the calculations I couldn't get the effect to go away.
一开始连我自己都无法相信这一点 但当我又做了一遍计算之后 我发现量子力学的这种效果是无法摆脱的
I met Martin Rees, and he was shaking with excitement and he said, Have you heard? Have you heard what Stephen has discovered?
我见了马丁·李斯一面 他兴奋得都在颤抖 他说 你听说了没 那个 史蒂芬刚刚发现的东西
Everything is different! Everything is changed!
所有一切都不同了 都颠覆了
I was still unsure of my discovery so I only told a few colleagues but word soon spread.
我对自己的发现仍抱有怀疑 所以我只告诉了少数几个同事 不过消息传得飞快
Roger Penrose phoned up on my birthday.
罗杰·彭罗斯在我生日当天打来电话
He was very excited and went on so long that my birthday dinner got quite cold.
他兴奋之极 跟我聊得根本停不下来 于是我的生日晚宴就被冷落了
It was a great pity, because it was goose which I'm very fond of.
真遗憾 晚宴上有鹅肉诶 我超喜欢的
To me it's a miracle,'cause it's a complicated and messy calculation.
对我而言 那简直就是个奇迹 因为计算过程复杂又混乱
We can now do these things very much better and it's more transparent what happens.
当今这个时代我们再做这事儿就会顺手得多 而且发生的事情看起来更加明晰
But out of this messy calculation, he showed that black holes aren't black with this quantum mechanical effect.
从这些混乱的计算中 他得出的结论是 黑洞在量子力学效应下 并不是黑的
There was a residual radiation.Stephen came to a meeting and people were flabbergasted.
宇宙中存在一种背景辐射 史蒂芬参加一次会议 人群一阵骚动
I remember someone saying, You must be wrong, Stephen.I don't believe a word of it.
我记得有人说 史蒂芬你肯定错了 你的理论我一句话都不信