Geppetto, who had understood nothing of all that jumbled talk, except that the Marionette was hungry, felt sorry for him, and pulling three pears out of his pocket, offered them to him, saying:
那些颠三倒四的话杰佩托没有完全听懂,只明白木偶饿得要死了。出于对他的同情,他从口袋里掏出三个梨,递给他,说:
These three pears were for my breakfast, but I give them to you gladly. Eat them and stop weeping.
“这三个梨是我准备当早饭吃的,可我很高兴给你吃。吃掉它们,别哭了。”
If you want me to eat them, please peel them for me.
“你要是给我吃,请把皮削掉吧。”
Peel them? asked Geppetto, very much surprised.
“削皮?”杰佩托听了很惊奇,反问说。
I should never have thought, dear boy of mine, that you were so dainty and fussy about your food.
“我的孩子,我简直不能相信,你的嘴那么刁,你那么难侍候。
Bad, very bad! In this world, even as children, we must accustom ourselves to eat of everything, for we never know what life may hold in store for us!
这可不好!在这个世界上,得从小习惯什么都吃,懂得给什么吃什么,因为你永远不知道会遇到什么事情,什么事情都会有!…”
You may be right, answered Pinocchio, but I will not eat the pears if they are not peeled. I don't like them.
“您的话是不错,”皮诺乔接下去说,“可我永远不吃不削皮的梨,水果皮我受不了。”
And good old Geppetto took out a knife, peeled the three pears, and put the skins in a row on the table.
老杰佩托是个大好人,就拿出一把小刀,用天使般的耐心,削好了三个梨,把梨皮放在桌子角上。
Pinocchio ate one pear in a twinkling and started to throw the core away, but Geppetto held his arm.
皮诺乔两口就吃掉了第一个梨。他正要把梨核扔掉,杰佩托抓住了他的胳膊。
Oh, no, don't throw it away! Everything in this world may be of some use!
“别扔掉。在这个世界上,样样东西都会有用的。”
But the core I will not eat! cried Pinocchio in an angry tone.
“可说真的,我不要吃梨核!…”皮诺乔生气地叫道。
Who knows? repeated Geppetto calmly.
“谁知道呢!什么事情都会有!…”杰佩托并不生气,又说了一遍。
And later the three cores were placed on the table next to the skins.
就这样,三个梨核没扔出窗口,跟梨皮一起,都放在桌子角上。
Pinocchio had eaten the three pears, or rather devoured them. Then he yawned deeply, and wailed:
皮诺乔吃了三个梨,或者说得准确点,吞下三个梨,打了个很长很长的哈欠,接着又哭也似地说:
I'm still hungry.
“我肚子还是饿!”
But I have no more to give you.
“但我再没什么可以给你了。”
Really, nothing--nothing?
“没有了,真的没有了?”
I have only these three cores and these skins.
“就剩下这三个梨核和这些梨皮了。”
Very well, then, said Pinocchio, if there is nothing else I'll eat them.
“好吧,那么...”皮诺乔说,“要是没别的,我就吃这些吧。”
At first he made a wry face, but, one after another, the skins and the cores disappeared.
他先还愁眉苦脸,可后来一块接一块,一转眼就把所有的梨皮和梨核都吃光了。
Ah! Now I feel fine! he said after eating the last one.
等到全给吃完,他兴高采烈地说:“这会儿我觉得好受了!”
You see, observed Geppetto, that I was right when I told you that one must not be too fussy and too dainty about food.
“现在你看,”杰佩托给他指出说,“我刚才对你说没错吧,得学会不要太挑肥拣瘦,不要太嘴刁。
My dear, we never know what life may have in store for us!
我的小宝贝,在这个世界上,咱们永远不知道会遇到什么事情。什么事情都会有!…”