But this question lingers and I continued to be troubled by the unequal distribution of scientific knowledge throughout the world.
但这个问题仍旧萦绕着我,我依旧会被世界上科学知识的分布不均衡问题所困扰。
We have learned to edit the human genome and unlock many secrets of how cancer progress.
我们已经学会编辑人类基因组,揭开了许多癌症形成的秘密。
We can manipulate neuron activity literally with the switch of light.
我们甚至可以通过光束来操控大脑神经元的活动。
Each year with more advances in Biomedical research, exciting transformative accomplishments.
每一年生物医学领域都有巨大进步和让人兴奋的、颠覆性的伟大成就。
Yet, despite the knowledge we have amassed, we haven’t been so successful in deploying it to where it’s needed most.
然而,尽管人类已经掌握和积累了大量知识,但是我们还是没能很好地把它们运用在最需要的地方。
According to the World Bank, 12% of the world population lives on less than 2 dollars a day.
据世界银行统计,目前世界仍有12%的人一天的生活费不到2美元。
Malnutrition kills more than 3 million children annually.
每年超过三百万的儿童死于营养不良。
Three hundred million people are afflicted by Malaria globally.
全球有三亿人正受疟疾折磨。
All over the world, we constantly see these problems of poverty, illness, and lack of resources impeding the flow of scientific information.
在世界各地,我们经常看到贫穷、疾病和资源短缺这些问题,这些都阻碍了科学知识的传播。
Life-saving knowledge we take for granted in our modern world is over-unavailable in the underdeveloped regions.
现代社会里那些习以为常的救生知识在不发达地区还未普及。
And so, in far too many places, people are still essentially trying to cure a spider bite with fire.
于是,在世界上很多地区,人们仍然用火疗的方法来处理蜘蛛咬伤事件。
While studying at Harvard, I saw how scientific knowledge can help others in simple, yet profound ways.
在哈佛学习期间,我知道了科学知识是如何用简单的又深刻的方式帮助到其他人的。
The bird flu pandemic in the 2000s looked to my village like a spell cast by demons.
在2000年的时候,禽流感肆虐,对我们村而言,这种病就像是魔鬼的诅咒。
Our folk medicine didn’t even have half-measures to offer.
What's more, farmers did not know the difference between the common cold and flu.
更严重的是,农民们不知道普通的感冒和流感之间的区别。
They did not understand that the flu was much more lethal than common cold.
他们不明白流感比普通的感冒要致命地多。
Most were also unaware that the virus could transmit across different animal species.
而且,大部分人根本不了解流感病毒可以在不同物种间传播。
So when I realized that simple hygiene practices like separating different animal species could help to contain the spread of the disease,
所以当我了解了简单有效的卫生措施,比如隔离不同的物种可以遏制疾病的传播,
and that I could help make this knowledge available to my village.
并把这样的信息告诉我的村民。
That was my first "aha" moment as a bioscientist.
我的心里第一次有了作为生物科学家的成就感。