If you were a well-run company competing against other well-run companies you're coming up with ideas to jump them.
如果你是一家运行良好的公司与另外一家运行良好的公司竞争 你就会多算几步
You're thinking they might do this, I'm going to do this.
你估计他们会怎么做然后相应地采取措施
It's not a big complicated thing.
倒不是什么太复杂的事情
Rockefeller is a fool.
洛克菲勒真蠢
How so?
怎么说
Should we be worried?
我们是否应该担心
No.
不用
You can buy iron ore anywhere and the ore from the Mesabi Mountains is like dust.
哪里买不到铁矿石 偏要到梅萨比山脉那买 那里的铁矿石就像垃圾
It clogs the blast furnaces.
只会堵塞高炉
No steel producer in his right mind would buy it.
有点脑子的钢铁生产商都不会去那买的
But Carnegie is wrong.
但是卡内基是错了
Steel manufacturers quickly figure out how to use the iron ore and Rockefeller immediately begins supplying it to Carnegie's competitors at rock bottom prices.
钢铁制造商很快想出了利用那里铁矿石的法子 洛克菲勒很快也就开始以极低的价格 给卡内基的竞争对手供货
There are many people who either work for Carnegie knew how to make steel, could figure out,well if I could raise a little bit of money maybe I could start my own steel company and price it just a little bit lower than Carnegie.
那些为卡内基工作的人都会想 如果我能筹集一点资金 就可以开自己的钢铁公司 售价比卡内基低那么一点
And guess what Customers will come to me to buy their steel.
然后呢 客户就会跑到我这里来买钢铁
As the competition heats up Carnegie's customers begin to flee.
随着竞争的加剧 卡内基的客户开始流失
The impact is devastating.
后果非常严重
In just months Carnegie's profits begin to crater.
短短几个月内卡内基的利润开始骤减