This lane inclined up-hill all the way to Hay.
这条小径沿着山坡一路往上直至海镇。
Having reached the middle, I sat down on a stile which led thence into a field.
步到半路,我在通向田野的台阶上坐了下来。
Gathering my mantle about me, and sheltering my hands in my muff,
我用斗篷把自己紧紧裹住,把手捂在皮手筒里,
I did not feel the cold, though it froze keenly.
所以尽管天寒地冻,却并不觉得很冷。
As was attested by a sheet of ice covering the causeway, where a little brooklet,
几天前已经融化泛滥的小河,
now congealed, had overflowed after a rapid thaw some days since.
现在又冻结起来。堤坝上结了一层薄冰,这是寒冷的明证。
From my seat I could look down on Thornfield.
从我落座的地方外以俯视桑菲尔德府。
The grey and battlemented hall was the principal object in the vale below me.
建有城垛的灰色府第是低处溪谷中的主要景物。
Its woods and dark rookery rose against the west.
树林和白嘴鸦黑魈魈的巢穴映衬着西边的天际。
I lingered till the sun went down amongst the trees, and sank crimson and clear behind them.
我闲荡着,直支太阳落入树丛,树后一片火红,
I then turned eastward.
才往东走去。
On the hill-top above me sat the rising moon;
在我头顶的山尖上,悬挂着初升的月光。
Pale yet as a cloud, but brightening momentarily,
先是像云朵般苍白,但立刻便明亮起来,
she looked over Hay, which, half lost in trees, sent up a blue smoke from its few chimneys.
俯瞰着海村。海村掩映在树丛之中,不多的烟囱里升起了袅袅蓝烟。
it was yet a mile distant, but in the absolute hush I could hear plainly its thin murmurs of life.
这里与海村相距一英里,因为万籁俱寂,我可以清晰地听到村落轻微的动静。
My ear, too, felt the flow of currents.
我的耳朵也感受到了水流声。
In what dales and depths I could not tell:
但来自哪个溪谷和深渊,却无法判断。
But there were many hills beyond Hay, and doubtless many becks threading their passes.
海村那边有很多小山,无疑会有许多山溪流过隘口。
That evening calm betrayed alike the tinkle of the nearest streams, the sough of the most remote.
黄昏的宁静,也同样反衬出近处溪流的叮冬声和最遥远处的飒飒风声。
A rude noise broke on these fine ripplings and whisperings, at once so far away and so clear.
一个粗重的声音,冲破了细微的潺潺水声和沙沙的风声,既遥远而又清晰。
A positive tramp, tramp, a metallic clatter, which effaced the soft wave-wanderings;
一种确确实实的脚步声。刺耳的喀嗒喀嗒声,盖过了柔和的波涛起伏似的声响。
As, in a picture, the solid mass of a crag,
犹如在一幅画中。浓墨渲染的前景
or the rough boles of a great oak, drawn in dark and strong on the foreground,
一大块峭岩或者一棵大橡树的粗壮树干,
efface the aerial distance of azure hill, sunny horizon, and blended clouds where tint melts into tint.
消融了远景中青翠的山峦、明亮的天际和斑驳的云彩。
The din was on the causeway.
这声音是从小路上传来的。
A horse was coming; the windings of the lane yet hid it, but it approached.
一匹马过来了,它一直被弯曲的小路遮挡着,这时己渐渐靠近。
I was just leaving the stile;
我正要离开台阶。
Yet, as the path was narrow, I sat still to let it go by.
但因为小路很窄,便端坐不动,让它过去。
In those days I was young, and all sorts of fancies bright and dark tenanted my mind.
在那段岁月里,我还年轻,脑海里有着种种光明和黑暗的幻想。
The memories of nursery stories were there amongst other rubbish;
记忆中的育儿室故事,和别的无稽之谈交织在一起。
And when they recurred, maturing youth added to them a vigour and vividness beyond what childhood could give.
这一切在脑际重现时,正在成熟的青春给它们增添了一种童年时所没有的活力和真实感。
As this horse approached, and as I watched for it to appear through the dusk,
当这匹马越来越近,而我凝眸等待它在薄暮中出现时,
I remembered certain of Bessie's tales, wherein figured a North-of-England spirit called a “Gytrash,”
我蓦地记起了贝茜讲的故事中一个英格兰北部的精灵,名叫“盖特拉西”,
which, in the form of horse, mule, or large dog, haunted solitary ways,
形状像马,也像骡子,或是像一条大狗,出没在偏僻的道路上,
and sometimes came upon belated travellers, as this horse was now coming upon me.
有时会扑向迟归的旅人,就像此刻这匹马向我驰来一样。