Something of daylight still lingered, and the moon was waxing bright.
白昼的余光迟迟没有离去,月亮越来越大,也越来越亮。
I could see him plainly.
这时我能将他看得清楚了。
His figure was enveloped in a riding cloak, fur collared and steel clasped.
他身上裹着骑手披风,戴着皮毛领,系着钢扣子。
its details were not apparent, but I traced the general points of middle height and considerable breadth of chest.
他的脸部看不大清楚,但我捉摸得出,他大体中等身材,胸膛很宽。
He had a dark face, with stern features and a heavy brow.
他的脸庞黝黑,面容严厉、眉毛浓密。
his eyes and gathered eyebrows looked ireful and thwarted just now.
他的眼睛和紧锁的双眉看上去刚才遭到了挫折、并且愤怒过。
he was past youth, but had not reached middle-age.
他青春已逝,但未届中年。
perhaps he might be thirty-five.
大约三十五岁。
I felt no fear of him, and but little shyness.
我觉得自己并不怕他,但有点儿腼腆。
Had he been a handsome, heroic-looking young gentleman,
要是他是位漂亮笑俊的年轻绅士,
I should not have dared to stand thus questioning him against his will, and offering my services unasked.
我也许不会如此大胆地站着,违背他心愿提出问题,而且不等他开口就表示愿意帮忙。
I had hardly ever seen a handsome youth, never in my life spoken to one.
我几乎没有看到过一位漂亮的青年,平生也从未同一位漂亮青年说过话。
I had a theoretical reverence and homage for beauty, elegance, gallantry, fascination.
我在理论上尊崇美丽、高雅、勇敢和魅力。
But had I met those qualities incarnate in masculine shape,
但如果我见到这些品质体现有男性的躯体中,
I should have known instinctively that they neither had nor could have sympathy with anything in me,
那我会本能地明白,这些东西没有,也不可能与我的品质共鸣、
and should have shunned them as one would fire, lightning, or anything else that is bright but antipathetic.
那我也会像人们躲避火灾、闪电、或者别的虽然明亮却今人厌恶的东西一样,对它们避之不迭。
If even this stranger had smiled and been good-humoured to me when I addressed him.
如果这位陌生人在我同他说话时微笑一下,并且对我和和气气。
If he had put off my offer of assistance gaily and with thanks,
如果他愉快地谢绝我的帮助,并表示感谢,
I should have gone on my way and not felt any vocation to renew inquiries.
我准会继续赶路,不会感到有任何职责去重新向他发问。
But the frown, the roughness of the traveller, set me at my ease.
但是这位赶路人的皱眉和粗犷,却使我坦然自若。
I retained my station when he waved to me to go, and announced:
因此当他挥手叫我走的时候,我仍然坚守阵地,并且宣布:
"I cannot think of leaving you, sir, at so late an hour, in this solitary lane, till I see you are fit to mount your horse."
“先生,没有看到你能够骑上马,我是不能让你留在这条偏僻小路上的,天已经这么晚了。”
He looked at me when I said this. He had hardly turned his eyes in my direction before.
我说这话的时候,他看着我,而在这之前,他几乎没有朝我的方向看过。
"I should think you ought to be at home yourself, "said he, "if you have a home in this neighbourhood. Where do you come from?"
“我觉得你自己该回家了,”他说,“要是你的家在附近的话。你是从哪儿来的?”
“From just below; and I am not at all afraid of being out late when it is moonlight.
“就是下面那个地方,只要有月光,在外面呆晚了我也一点都不害怕。
I will run over to Hay for you with pleasure, if you wish it:
我很乐意为你去跑一趟海村,要是你想的话。
Indeed, I am going there to post a letter.
说真的,我正要上那儿去寄封信。
"You live just below — do you mean at that house with the battlements?" pointing to Thornfield Hall,
“你说就住在下面,是不是指有城垛的那幢房子?”他指着桑菲尔德府。
on which the moon cast a hoary gleam, bringing it out distinct and pale from the woods that,
这时月亮给桑菲尔德府洒下了灰白色的光,清晰地勾勒出了它以树林为背景的苍白轮廓。
by contrast with the western sky, now seemed one mass of shadow.
而那树林,在西边的天际衬托之下,似乎成了一大片阴影。
Yes, sir.
是的,先生。
Whose house is it?
那是谁的房子?
Mr. Rochester's.
罗切斯特先生的。
Do you know Mr. Rochester?
你知道罗切斯特先生吗?
No, I have never seen him.
不知道,从来没有见过他。
He is not resident, then?
他不常住在那里吗?
No.
是的。