"You will be none the worse," I said. "We shall recompense you for the loss of your time.
我道:"请不要着急,您所费的时间我们会补报您的。
Sit over here on the sofa, and you will not have long to wait."
请坐在那边沙发上,不久福尔摩斯先生就可以回来了。"
He came across sullenly enough and seated himself with his face resting on his hands.
他很不高兴地用两手掩住了脸,无可奈何地坐在那里。
Jones and I resumed our cigars and our talk.
琼斯和我继续一边吸着我们的雪茄烟一边谈话。
Suddenly, however, Holmes's voice broke in upon us.
刹时间忽然听见福尔摩斯的声音向我们说话。
"I think that you might offer me a cigar too," he said.
"我想你们也应该敬我一支雪茄烟了。"
We both started in our chairs. There was Holmes sitting close to us with an air of quiet amusement.
我们二人从椅上吃惊地跳了起来,旁边坐着福尔摩斯,笑容可掬。
"Holmes!" I exclaimed. "You here! But where is the old man?"
我惊讶地喊道:"福尔摩斯!是你吗?那老头哪儿去了?"
"Here is the old man," said he, holding out a heap of white hair. "Here he is–wig, whiskers, eyebrows, and all.
他拿出一把白发,说道:"他就在这儿,假发、胡须、眼眉,全在这里。
I thought my disguise was pretty good, but I hardly expected that it would stand that test."
我认为我的化装还不错,可是没有想到把你们也骗住了。"
"Ah, you rogue!" cried Jones, highly delighted.
琼斯高兴得喊道:"啊,你这坏蛋!
"You would have made an actor and a rare one.
你真够得上一个戏剧演员--一个出色的演员,
You had the proper workhouse cough, and those weak legs of yours are worth ten pound a week.
你学工人的咳嗽,还有你腿部的表演每星期足可挣十镑的工资。
I thought I knew the glint of your eye, though. You didn't get away from us so easily, you see."
可是我想我看出你的眼神来了,你还没有把我们骗得完全相信。"
"I have been working in that get-up all day," said he, lighting his cigar.
他点燃了雪茄烟,说道:"我今天整日打扮成这个样子。
"You see, a good many of the criminal classes begin to know me--especially since our friend here took to publishing some of my cases:
你知道,很多的匪徒们已渐渐地认识了我--特别是在咱们这位朋友把我的侦探事迹写成了书之后。
so I can only go on the war-path under some simple disguise like this. You got my wire?"
所以我只好在工作时简单地加以化装。你接到我的电报了吗?"