We recognize them in relation to corporations.
我们还认同他们像个企业
And corporations are very like religions in many ways, except they're right down at the bottom of the pyramid of needs.
公司企业和宗教有些相似之处,不过企业只提供最基本的物质
They're selling us shoes and cars.
企业给我们鞋子和汽车
Whereas the people who are selling us the higher stuff -- the therapists, the poets --
但是像治疗师,诗人那些人,他们给我们更高层次的东西
are on their own and they have no power, they have no might.
但是他们是独立的,没有强大的权势,他们没有力量
So religions are the foremost example of an institution that is fighting for the things of the mind.
所以宗教就是个最棒的例子,告诉我们一个机构对于追思来说是很重要的
Now we may not agree with what religions are trying to teach us,
我们可能不同意宗教所传授的教条
but we can admire the institutional way in which they're doing it.
但是我们可以赞赏他们组织起来的方法
Books alone, books written by lone individuals, are not going to change anything. We need to group together.
个人作家所写的书本身是不会带来什么改变的。我们需要团结在一起
If you want to change the world, you have to group together, you have to be collaborative. And that's what religions do.
如果我们想改变世界,我们必须团结奋斗,而这就是宗教所做的
They are multinational, as I say, they are branded, they have a clear identity, so they don't get lost in a busy world.
我说过他们是跨国的,他们有名有望,他们有明确的一致性,所以他们不会在繁乱的世界中迷失
That's something we can learn from. I want to conclude.
这是值得我们学习的。最后
Really what I want to say is for many of you who are operating in a range of different fields,
我想说的是,你们这些来自各行各业的人们
there is something to learn from the example of religion -- even if you don't believe any of it.
你们绝对可以从宗教中学习到些东西,即使你一点都不相信宗教的信仰
If you're involved in anything that's communal,
如果你生活在社会里
that involves lots of people getting together, there are things for you in religion.
如果你和很多人接触,宗教里绝对有对你有用的东西
If you're involved, say, in a travel industry in any way, look at pilgrimage. Look very closely at pilgrimage.
如果你和旅游业有关,去参考朝圣。仔细地去学习研究朝圣
We haven't begun to scratch the surface of what travel could be
我们根本还不知道旅行到底是怎么一回事
because we haven't looked at what religions do with travel.
因为我们从来不学习宗教人士是如何旅行的
If you're in the art world, look at the example of what religions are doing with art.
如果你玩艺术,去参考宗教人士是怎么对待艺术的
And if you're an educator in any way, again, look at how religions are spreading ideas.
如果你是在教育界里,去参考宗教人士是如何传播思想的