At dark I allowed Adèle to put away books and work, and to run downstairs.
天黑时我允许阿黛勒放下书和作业,奔到楼下去。
for, from the comparative silence below, and from the cessation of appeals to the door-bell,
因为下面已比较安静,门铃声也已消停,
I conjectured that Mr. Rochester was now at liberty.
想必罗切斯特先生此刻有空了。
Left alone, I walked to the window, but nothing was to be seen thence.
房间里只剩下了我一个人,我便走到窗子跟前,但那儿什么也看不见。
Twilight and snowflakes together thickened the air, and hid the very shrubs on the lawn.
暮色和雪片使空气混混沌沌,连草坪上的灌木也看不清楚了。
I let down the curtain and went back to the fireside.
我放下窗帘,回到了火炉边。
In the clear embers I was tracing a view,
在明亮的余烬中,我仿佛看到了一种景象,
not unlike a picture I remembered to have seen of the castle of Heidelberg, on the Rhine,
颇似我记得曾见过的莱茵河上海德堡城堡的风景画。
when Mrs. Fairfax came in, breaking up by her entrance the fiery mosaic I had been piercing together,
这时费尔法克斯太太闯了进来,打碎了我还在拼凑的火红镶嵌画,
and scattering too some heavy unwelcome thoughts that were beginning to throng on my solitude.
也驱散了我孤寂中开始凝聚起来的沉闷而不受欢迎的念头。
![经典文学《简·爱》 经典文学《简·爱》](http://pic.kekenet.com/2016/0829/68241472450885.png)
"Mr. Rochester would be glad if you and your pupil would take tea with him in the drawing-room this evening,"
"罗切斯特先生请你和你的学生,今晚一起同他在休息室里用茶点,"
said she: "he has been so much engaged all day that he could not ask to see you before."
她说,"他忙了一天。没能早点见你。"
"When is his tea-time?" I inquired.
"他什么时候用茶点?"我问。
"Oh, at six o' clock. He keeps early hours in the country.
"呃,六点钟。在乡下他总是早起早睡。
You had better change your frock now.
现在你最好把外衣换掉。
I will go with you and fasten it. Here is a candle.
我陪你去,帮你扣上扣子。拿着这支蜡烛。
Is it necessary to change my frock?
有必要换外衣吗?
Yes, you had better. I always dress for the evening when Mr. Rochester is here.
是的,最好还是换一下。罗切斯特先生在这里的时候,我总是穿上夜礼服的。
This additional ceremony seemed somewhat stately.
这额外的礼节似乎有些庄重。
However, I repaired to my room, and, with Mrs. Fairfax's aid, replaced my black stuff dress by one of black silk.
不过我还是上自己的房间去了。在费尔法克斯太太的帮助下,把黑色呢衣换成了一件黑丝绸衣服,
The best and the only additional one I had, except one of light grey, which, in my Lowood notions of the toilette,
这是除了一套淡灰色衣服外,我最好的,也是唯一一套额外的衣装。以我的罗沃德服饰观念而言,
I thought too fine to be worn, except on first-rate occasions.
我想除了头等重要的场合,这套服装是过于讲究而不宜穿的。
"You want a brooch," said Mrs. Fairfax.
"你需要一枚饰针,"费尔法克斯太太说。
I had a single little pearl ornament which Miss Temple gave me as a parting keepsake.
我只有一件珍珠小饰品,是坦普尔小姐作为临别礼物送给我的.
I put it on, and then we went downstairs.
我把它戴上了。随后我们下了楼梯。
Unused as I was to strangers, it was rather a trial to appear thus formally summoned in Mr. Rochester's presence.
我由于怕生,觉得这么一本正经被罗切斯特先生召见,实在是活受罪。
I let Mrs. Fairfax precede me into the dining-room, and kept in her shade as we crossed that apartment.
去餐室时,我让费尔法克斯太太走在我前面,自己躲在她暗影里。
And, passing the arch, whose curtain was now dropped, entered the elegant recess beyond.
穿过房间,路过此刻放下了窗帘的拱门,进了另一头高雅精致的内室。