And the thing that's always a big mistake is going after a giant market on day one.
从一开始就进入一个巨大的市场是一个严重的错误
Because that's typically evidence that you somehow haven't defined the categories correctly.
因为这种做法表明你还没有明确的市场定位
And it normally means that there is going to be too much competition. In one way or another.
这通常意味着激烈的竞争。各方面竞争都很激烈
And so I think almost all the successful companies
硅谷几乎所有成功的企业
in Silicon Valley had some model of starting with small markets and expanding.
都是先进入一个小市场,然后再进行扩展的
And if you take Amazon, you start with. Just a bookstore.
比如亚马逊,从一个书店开始
We have all the books in the world.
我们有世界上所有的书
So it's a better bookstore than anybody else has in the world.
因此我们的书店肯定是全世界最好的
When it's starts in the 90's, it's online, there's things you can do you can't do before.
这是90年代起家的网上书店,这是之前从来没有的
And then you gradually expand into all sorts of different forms of e-commerce and other things beyond that.
之后亚马逊扩展成了一个什么都卖的电子商务公司
You know, eBay you start with Pez dispensers.
eBay从卖糖果盒起家
You move on to Beanie Babies and eventually it's all these different auctions for all these sorts of different goods.
然后也卖过毛绒玩具,最终发展成了一个卖各种东西的平台
And what was very counter intuitive about many of these companies is they often start with markets
非常反直觉的是,这些公司
that are so small that people don't think that they're valuable at all when you get started.
通常都是从一个非常小的市场开始,人们通常并不认为他们的创业点有价值
The PayPal version of this was, we started with power sellers on eBay which was about 20,000 people.
对于PayPal来说,瞄准的是eBay上的超级卖家,只有大约2万家