She was seated by the open window, dressed in some sort of white diaphanous material,
她坐在窗前,穿着白色半透明的衣服,
with a little touch of scarlet at the neck and waist.
在颈间和腰际都系着红色的带子。
The soft light of a shaded lamp fell upon her as she leaned back in the basket chair,
在透过罩子射出来的柔和灯光下面,她倚坐在一张藤椅上。
playing over her sweet grave face, and tinting with a dull,
灯光照着她那美丽庄重的脸
metallic sparkle the rich coils of her luxuriant hair.
和映成金黄色的蓬松的秀发,
One white arm and hand drooped over the side of the chair,
一只洁白的胳臂搭在椅背上,
and her whole pose and figure spoke of an absorbing melancholy.
那姿态和神情都表现她似乎有无限的忧郁积在心中。
At the sound of my footfall she sprang to her feet, however,
她听到我的脚步声就站了起来,
and a bright flush of surprise and of pleasure coloured her pale cheeks.
脸上一道红晕显出惊讶中带着欢喜。
"I heard a cab drive up," she said.
她道:"我听见门外车声,
"I thought that Mrs. Forrester had come back very early, but I never dreamed that it might be you.
以为是弗里斯特夫人提早回来了,决没有想到是您来了。
What news have you brought me?"
您给我带来了什么消息?"
"I have brought something better than news," said I,
"我带来的东西比消息还要好,
putting down the box upon the table and speaking jovially and boisterously, though my heart was heavy within me.
我把箱子放在桌上,心中虽然烦闷,可是装做高兴地说道:
"I have brought you something which is worth all the news in the world. I have brought you a fortune."
我带来的东西比任何的消息还要宝贵,我给您带来了财富。"
She glanced at the iron box. "Is that the treasure then?" she asked, coolly enough.
她向铁箱看了一眼,冷淡地问道:"那就是宝物吗?"
"Yes, this is the great Agra treasure. Half of it is yours and half is Thaddeus Sholto's.
"是的,箱内就是那一大宗阿格拉宝物;一半是您的,一半属于塞笛厄斯·舒尔托先生。
You will have a couple of hundred thousand each. Think of that! An annuity of ten thousand pounds.
你们二人所得当各在二十万镑左右。您想一想!每年利息就是一万镑,
There will be few richer young ladies in England. Is it not glorious?"
在英国妇女当中是少见的。这不是大可庆幸的事吗?"