Whether it's Harvard, whether it's America a real privilege. You see, many of you,
无论是在哈佛 还是在美国 真的很荣幸你们许多人
Not far from now, you will be in influential positions. Will you be able to do a lot of good
不久将会身居要职你们能够做善事吗
In a for profit organization, not for profit organization, on the board of your previous school,
在一个非营利机构里行善在你母校的董事会
With your money, with your time? However
贡献金钱和时间然而
And here is the however i've met many grad students with me
这是个原因我与许多研究生相处过
Or students when I was a tutor who express their frustration to me.
或当导师时的学生学生曾跟我谈及他们的困扰
They said to me, You know, I had all the good intentions in the world.
他们曾对我说 你知道我曾有世界上最良好的意愿
I have all the good intentions in the world. I want to do good. I've donated my time, my money.
我有最善良的心 想为世界作贡献我奉献出时间和金钱
But I feel that something is missing. I feel that i've fallen short of my potential
但还是觉得若有所失我觉得我能改变世界的能力
To really make a difference. Why? Because good will and idealism,
越来越弱了 为什么呢?因为美好的意愿和理想主义
While necessary, they are not sufficient. Not enough.
虽然必要 但却是不够的远远不够
Because very often, with very good intentions, we may fall short of what we are capable of doing,
因为很多时候 即使有很好的意愿我们的能力还是有限
Or in some situations, even hurt more than help. And we'll look at some of these studies,
或在某些情况下 我们带来的伤害多于帮助有一些研究表明