Chapter 12 The Strange Story Of Jonathan Small
第十二章 琼诺赞·斯茂的奇异故事
A very patient man was that inspector in the cab, for it was a weary time before I rejoined him.
那个警长很有耐性地在车上等候着我,我回到车上时已经很晚了。
His face clouded over when I showed him the empty box.
我给他看了空箱子,他大失所望。
"There goes the reward!" said he gloomily. "Where there is no money there is no pay.
他郁闷地说道:"这一来,奖金也完了!箱子里没有宝物也就没有奖金了,
This night's work would have been worth a tenner each to Sam Brown and me if the treasure had been there."
不然今晚我和同伴山姆·布朗每人可以得到十镑奖金呢。"
"Mr. Thaddeus Sholto is a rich man," I said; "he will see that you are rewarded, treasure or no."
我道:"塞笛厄斯·舒尔托先生是个有钱的人,不管宝物有没有,他会给你们酬劳的。"
The inspector shook his head despondently, however.
警长沮丧地摇着头道:
"It's a bad job," he repeated; "and so Mr. Athelney Jones will think."
"埃瑟尔尼·琼斯先生会认为这事干得很糟糕呢。"
His forecast proved to be correct, for the detective looked blank enough when I got to Baker Street and showed him the empty box.
这警长的预料果然不错,当我回到贝克街,把空箱给那位侦探看的时候,他面色很不好看。
They had only just arrived, Holmes, the prisoner, and he,
他们三人--福尔摩斯、琼斯和囚犯--刚刚来到贝克街;
for they had changed their plans so far as to report themselves at a station upon the way.
因为他们变更了原来的计划,在中途先到警署去作了报告。
My companion lounged in his armchair with his usual listless expression,
福尔摩斯仍象往常一样,懒洋洋地坐在他的椅子上,
while Small sat stolidly opposite to him with his wooden leg cocked over his sound one.
面对着顽强地坐在那儿的斯茂。斯茂把那条木腿搭在好腿上面。
As I exhibited the empty box he leaned back in his chair and laughed aloud.
当我把空箱子给大家看的时候,他倚着椅子放声大笑起来。
"This is your doing, Small," said Athelney Jones angrily.
琼斯发怒道:"斯茂,这是你干的好事!"