Because what I am saying here is let's not study the average , let's study the top five percent
我想说的是 不要研究大众研究快乐指数最高的5%的人
So that we can understand the phenomenon better. The person who talks about this is Abraham Maslow.
这样就可以更好地理解这一现象这就是Abraham Maslow
When he talked about growing tip statistics. Let me read to you this is taken from his book:
提出的 成长尖端统计学 以下这话引自他的书
What this kind of research design means is a change in our conception of statistics,
设计出这类调研是为了改变我们对统计的观念
And especially of sampling theory. What I am frankly espousing here
尤其是对抽样调查的看法我非常支持
Is what I have been calling growing tip statistics, taking my title from the fact
'成长尖端统计学'我的头衔来自以下的研究发现
That it is at the growing tip of a plant that the greatest genetic action takes place.
最优秀的遗传基因会在幼苗的成长尖端出现
What he's saying is that let's study the sages, the saints,
他的意思是 让我们学习圣人
The extraordinary people, the arrowhead so that we can understand and realize
非凡的人 这样能帮助我们了解
The potential in all people. Let me quote him in greater length.
人类的潜能我再引述他另一句更长的话
This is very important, which is why I am doing it: If we want to know how fast a human being can run,
这话非常重要 是我作这个研究的原因 如果想知道人类最快能跑多快
Then it is no use to average out the speed of a good sample of the population;
那从好的样本中测出平均数是没用的
It is far better to collect Olympic gold medal winners and see how well they can do.
而应该收集田径类奥运冠军的信息看他们能跑多快
If we want to know the possibilities for spiritual growth, value growth or moral development in human being,
如果想知道心灵成长的可能性人类价值增长或道德发展的可能性