Dialogue 1
Mark: Hey, Jingjing, about time you showed up! I was waiting for over an hour. Is everything okay?
马克:嘿,京晶,你终于出现了!我等了你一个多小时了。没出什么事吧?
Jingjing: Yeah, I'm fine. I'm really sorry I'm late. Traffic is really sluggish today! I should have given you a heads up.
京晶:没有,我很好。真的很抱歉我迟到了。今天交通实在是太糟糕了!我应该告诉你一声的。
Mark: Yeah, yeah. Shoulda coulda woulda.
马克:是啊……应该……知道还不告诉我一声。
Jingjing: Hey! I said I was sorry. Besides, weren't you late last week when we went to see a movie?
京晶:嘿!我说了我很抱歉。况且,我们上周末去看电影你不也迟到了么?
Mark: Hey, I'm just playing with you! Anyways, I think I know why traffic was so bad today.
马克:哈,我只是逗你玩呢!而且,我想我知道为什么今天的交通如此糟糕。
Jingjing: Oh, yeah? Why's that?
京晶:哦,是吗?为什么?
Mark: Because school is just starting back up! All the students are busy moving back into their dormitories.
马克:因为学校都陆续开学了!所有的学生都在忙着搬回到他们的宿舍去。
Jingjing: Oh, that's true. Hey, sometimes I miss the old days of being in school. Work can be more stressful than school sometimes.
京晶:哦,确实是这样。哎,有时候我很怀念学生时代。有时工作比学习紧张多了。
Mark: I know what you mean. I miss being a student too. But at least now we can live our own lives independently and make a little moola.
马克:是啊。我也很怀念学生时代。但现在的好处是,至少我们可以独立生活并且赚钱啦。
Jingjing: Word. Hey, let's use some of that moola right now and go eat lunch. I'm starving!
京晶:没错。嘿,让我们花点儿票子,去吃午饭吧。我饿死了!
Mark: Good idea, let's go.
马克:好主意,我们走吧。
习语短语
(It's) about time...=终于……
例如:It's about time you've finished your schoolwork. 你终于完成你的功课了!
sluggish=某事物移动或流动得很缓慢,常指交通
give someone a heads up=提前通知某人某事
Shoulda coulda woulda.=指现在说也晚了,当对方说“我本应该做……”却没有做的时候用 (故意为难对方)。
play with someone=和某人开玩笑
the old days=[俚语]指过去
moola=[俗语]金钱
word=[年轻人的流行语]这里是类似于“我明白”,如果发音为升调,它的功能等同于“真的吗?”
Dialogue 2
Jingjing and Mark are sitting down at a restaurant having a conversation.
京晶和马克在餐厅交谈。
Jingjing: So, what do you miss most about being in school, Mark?
京晶:马克,学校最让你怀念的是什么?
Mark: I miss the sense of accomplishment after doing well on my tests and homework.
马克:我最怀念考试考好和完成家庭作业之后的成就感。
Jingjing: Really? So you mean you miss your teachers and parents hailing you for doing a good job?
京晶:真的吗?所以,你的意思是你怀念老师和家长称赞你学习好吗?
Mark: Yeah, basically.
马克:是的,基本上是这样。
Jingjing: So in other words, you were a teacher's pet?
京晶:所以,换句话说,你原来是老师的宠儿喽?
Mark: I'll admit, I was! I always liked making my teachers happy. What about you?
马克:我承认,确实是!我总是喜欢让我的老师高兴。你呢?
Jingjing: I can't say I was a teacher's pet. Don't get me wrong, I was still a good student and got good grades, but I was never after the approval of my teachers.
京晶:我不能说我是老师的宠儿。但不要误会我的意思,我还是个好学生,并取得了很好的成绩,但我从来没有在意过老师的表扬。
Mark: Oh, I see. Cool. Well, what subject did you like best?
马克:哦,我明白了。酷,那你最喜欢什么科目呢?
Jingjing: Math was always my favorite. I'm a natural number cruncher.
京晶:数学一直是我的最爱。我天生就会和数字打交道。
Mark: You liked Math? Cool! You'd probably make a good bean counter if you wanted to.
马克:你喜欢数学?厉害!如果你愿意的话,你可以成为一个优秀的会计师。
Jingjing: Thanks, but I think I'll stick with being a radio host. That's my passion in life. What's yours?
京晶:谢谢,但我想我还是会坚持做一名电台主持人。这才是我生命中的热情所在。你呢?
Mark: I like teaching English, and of course, helping others.
马克:我喜欢教英语,当然,还有帮助他人。
Jingjing: Oh, really? Well, you could help me foot the bill?
京晶:哦,真的吗?太好了,那你能不能帮我买单?
Mark: I suppose I could do that... Waiter! Check please!
马克:我想我能做到这一点……服务员!买单!
习语短语
hail=[动词]赞美,致敬
teacher's pet=老师的宠儿
Don't get me wrong.=不要误会我的意思,不瞒你说。
number cruncher=擅长与数字打交道的人
bean counter=[俚语]会计师
stick with (something)=坚持做某事,不会改变
my passion in life=我生活中最大的热情,我最喜欢的东西(如嗜好)
foot the bill=买单