Imagine that you are a product designer.
把自己想象成一个产品设计师。
And you've designed a product, a new type of product, called the human immune system.
你设计了一种产品,一种叫做人体免疫机制的新产品
You're pitching this product to a skeptical, strictly no-nonsense manager.
你在向一个持质疑态度、不容许讲废话的经理推销这种产品
Let's call him Bob. I think we all know at least one Bob, right?
让我们叫他鲍勃。我想每个人都至少认识一个鲍勃,对吧
How would that go?
将会发生什么呢
Bob, I've got this incredible idea for a completely new type of personal health product.
鲍勃,我有了一个美妙的想法,我要做一种全新的个人健康产品
It's called the human immune system.
它叫做人体免疫机制
I can see from your face that you're having some problems with this.
我能从你的反应看出你不太相信
Don't worry. I know it's very complicated.
不要担心,我知道这不好理解
I don't want to take you through the gory details,
我不会赘述令人肉麻的细节
I just want to tell you about some of the amazing features of this product.
我只想告诉你这种产品的几个惊人之处
First of all, it cleverly uses redundancy by having millions of copies of each component
首先,它巧妙地使用了庞大性,它拥有上百万备用的同种组织
leukocytes, white blood cells before they're actually needed, to create a massive buffer against the unexpected.
比如血白细胞,来制造应对突发情况的有效方案
And it cleverly leverages diversity by having not just leukocytes but B cells, T cells, natural killer cells, antibodies.
其次它有着多样性,不只是有白血细胞,还有B细胞、T细胞、自然杀伤细胞和抗体
The components don't really matter. The point is that together,
重要的不是它的组成部分。重要的是合在一起
this diversity of different approaches can cope with more or less anything that evolution has been able to throw up.
这种有着不同种类的多样性,几乎可以解决进化中出现的所有问题
And the design is completely modular.
而且它的设计十分模块化
You have the surface barrier of the human skin,
有着人体皮肤的表面保护
you have the very rapidly reacting innate immune system and then you have the highly targeted adaptive immune system.
不仅有与生俱来的反应敏捷的免疫机制,还有着适应力极强的高效免疫系统
The point is, that if one system fails, another can take over, creating a virtually foolproof system.
即使一种机制失效,另一种也能及时补上,创造出十分安全的系统