I touched it with both hands, put both hands into the water then touched my forehead,
我两手接过水,把手放进水里,再碰了碰自己的额头,
touched my eyes and held my palms against my cheeks, held my face in my hands.
擦擦眼睛,手掌抚摸着两颊,捧着自己的脸。
I am blessing myself and my aunt, and all that happened. Earl did as I did.
我在为自己和小姨以及发生的一切祈福。厄尔也跟我一样。
The crone standing before him proffering the bowl of water.
老妇人站在他面前递上水。
On this hot day we did not drink.
那么热的天我们却没有喝水。
The water was not meant for us to drink.
水不是给我们喝的。
The crowd was not looking at us.
人群也没有在看着我们。
When a Chinese crowd will gather and look at anything,
当中国人聚在一起看热闹的时候,
watch who wins the haggling, watch the street barber cut hair, watch anybody write anything.
可能有人在吵架,理发师当街理发,看别人写着什么。
The villagers were looking away, knowing we had shame, we had curse.
村民在看别的地方,知道我们有罪,身怀诅咒。
They gave us privacy, gave us face.
他们给了我们隐私和面子。
Are they wondering whether I am wondering.
他们是否在好奇,我是不是好奇。
Do they know? Do they know that I know?
他们知道什么?我知道的他们知道吗?
The crone woman... now where is she?
老妇人,现在在哪儿?
Is she old enough to have witnessed the raid on our house?
她活得足够长久来见证我们家里的暴乱吗?
The people at the old folks club, had they taken part?
老年人俱乐部的人们参加了这次暴乱吗?
Killing the animals, hounding my aunt.
杀害动物,逼死我小姨。
The men, one of those men her rapist? Her lover?
这些男人中有人强暴了她吗?是她的情人?