We have certain instincts that are there and have been formed either God-given or evolutionary-given,for millions of years that have been formed.
我们有生而有之,或上天赐与或经过几百万年在进化中形成的本能。
They are not going to change any time soon. Not in our life time. It's fixed.
这些本性不会很快改变。在有生之年是不可能的。它是固有的。
We are stuck with them through good and ill.
不论好坏,我们都要接受它们。
And all we can do after we accept this nature is to first understand it through research,
在接受这个本性后,我们唯一能做的首先是通过研究来理解它.
and then after we understand it make the best use of it.
理解它后好好地利用它。
Understand it through research as well as through the search.
通过研究和探究来理解它。
Through introspection, and then make the best use of it.
通过内省来理解它 然后好好地利用。
How can I channel my nature?
如何引导我的本性?
And what I want to do now is illustrate a case study.
现在我想演示一个案例研究。
Of what I mean by nature constrained and why it is so important for happiness.
说明我所谓的本性受约束的含义以及它对幸福非常重要的原因。
For wellbeing, for long-term success to have the constrained view of human nature.
对于幸福来说,长久的成功对于人性受约束观点很重要
When it comes to our psychology that is.
当论及到我们的心理时。
The topic I want to talk about is the permission to be human.
我谈及的话题是准许为人。
I am going to talk about this topic for three reasons.
原因有三:
A, because it illustrates what Thomas Sowell means politically in the psychological realm.
第一,它说明了Thomas Sowell的观点在心理学领域的政治方面。
Second, because I think it is one of the most important pillars of wellbeing and happiness.
第二,因为我认为它是快乐和幸福的最重要支柱之一
The third reason why I want to talk about it is because it gets to misunderstanding that many people have regarding what positive psychology is and is not.
第三个原因为它引起人们对何为积极心理学的误解。