As the days went by, Wilbur grew and grew.
日子一天天过去,威尔伯越长越大。
He ate three big meals a day.
它一天大吃三顿。
He spent long hours lying on his side,
它舒舒服服地侧身躺上很长时间,
half asleep, dreaming pleasant dreams.
半睡半醒,做着美梦。
He enjoyed good health and he gained a lot of weight.
它身体很棒,胖了许多。
One afternoon, when Fern was sitting on her stool,
一天下午,当弗恩正坐在她的凳子上时,
the oldest sheep walked into the barn,
最老的那只羊走进谷仓,
and stopped to pay a call on Wilbur.
停下来看威尔伯。
"Hello!" she said. "Seems to me you're putting on weight."
“你好,”它说,“我觉得你发福了。”
"Yes, I guess I am," replied Wilbur.
“是的,我想是的,”威尔伯回答说,
"At my age it's a good idea to keep gaining."
“在我这个岁数,不断长胖是件好事。”
"Just the same, I don't envy you," said the old sheep.
“不过我不羡慕你,”那老羊说,
"You know why they're fattening you up, don't you?"
“你知道他们为什么让你长胖吗?”
"No," said Wilbur.
“不知道,”威尔伯说。
"Well, I don't like to spread bad news," said the sheep,
“唉,我不想当小广播,”老羊说,
"but they're fattening you up because they're going to kill you, that's why."
“不过他们让你长胖只为了要杀你,就是这么回事。”