June 29, 2016. My dear fellow citizen:
2016年6月29日,我亲爱的公民朋友们:
I write to you today, to you who have lost in this era.
今天我在这向你们致辞,献给那些迷失在这个时代中的人们。
At this moment in our common life,
在我们平凡生活中的这个时刻,
when the world is full of breaking and spite and fear,
在这个充满了分裂,恶意,和恐惧的世界,
I address this letter simply to you,
我为你写了这封信,
even though we both know there are many of you behind this "you," and many of me behind this "I."
即使我们都知道,这里的“你”代表了很多的人,这里的“我”也代表了很多人。
I write to you because at present, this quaking world we share scares me.
我给你们写这封信的原因,是我们现处的这个不安全的世界吓到了我,
I gather it scares you, too.
我猜它也吓到了你们。
Some of what we fear, I suspect, we fear in common.
我怀疑有一些我们所恐惧的其实是相同的。
But much of what we fear seems to be each other.
但是我们很多的恐惧似乎源于彼此之间。
You fear the world I want to live in, and I fear your visions in turn.
你们害怕我想要生活的世界,我也害怕你们所想的那种。