But about this time I had an experience which taught me that nature is not always kind.
正是在那个时候,我也有了一种个人体验,那就是大自然并不总是温情脉脉的。
One day my teacher and I were returning from a long ramble.
一天,我和老师正从一次长距离散步中返回。
The morning had been fine,
那天一早的天气还是好好的,
but it was growing warm and sultry when at last we turned our faces homeward.
但是当我们往家走的时候就变得燠热难耐起来。
Two or three times we stopped to rest under a tree by the wayside.
有那么两三次,我们停在路边的大树下歇息。
Our last halt was under a wild cherry tree a short distance from the house.
最后,我们来到了离家不远的一棵野生樱桃树下。
The shade was grateful, and the tree was so easy to climb
树荫下凉爽宜人,那棵树也很容易攀爬,
that with my teacher's assistance I was able to scramble to a seat in the branches.
在老师的帮助下,我还能爬到树上骑在枝桠间。
It was so cool up in the tree that Miss Sullivan proposed that we have our luncheon there.
坐在树枝间的感觉妙不可言,苏立文小姐打算在这里进行我们的午餐。
I promised to keep still while she went to the house to fetch it.
我答应她坐在树杈上不动,于是老师去家里拿午饭。
Suddenly a change passed over the tree.
突然,有一种变化从树丛之间扫过。
All the sun's warmth left the air.
周围所有的光和热都散去了,
I knew the sky was black,
我知道天色变黑了,
because all the heat, which meant light to me, had died out of the atmosphere.
因为所有的热度,对我而言也意味着光,已经消失在了空气之中。
A strange odour came up from the earth.
接着,地上也泛起一股奇怪的味道,
I knew it, it was the odour that always precedes a thunderstorm,
在一场雷雨到来之前,我总会闻到这种味道。
and a nameless fear clutched at my heart.
一种难以名状的恐惧攫住了我的心,
I felt absolutely alone, cut off from my friends and the firm earth.
我感到了彻底的孤立无助,某种力量切断了我同朋友和坚实大地的联系。
The immense, the unknown, enfolded me.
浩瀚、未知的气氛将我紧紧围裹,
I remained still and expectant; a chilling terror crept over me.
我伫立不动,翘首企盼,一阵惊骇感袭遍了我的全身。
I longed for my teacher's return;
我急切地盼着老师快些返回,
but above all things I wanted to get down from that tree.
一心想从树上爬下来。