There was a moment of sinister silence, then a multitudinous stirring of the leaves.
接着,是片刻的宁静,令人产生不祥的预感。
A shiver ran through the tree,
随后,周围的树叶大肆抖动起来,
and the wind sent forth a blast that would have knocked me off had I not clung to the branch with might and main.
我身下的樱桃树发出一阵震颤,如果不是我用尽力气紧紧抱住树干,迎面而来的一股狂风就会把我掀到地上。
The tree swayed and strained.
树摇晃得很厉害,
The small twigs snapped and fell about me in showers.
在风雨的裹挟下,我身边的小树枝噼啪作响,似乎在嘲笑我的渺小。
A wild impulse to jump seized me, but terror held me fast.
一阵狂暴的悸动攫住了我,恐惧感令我难以自抑。
I crouched down in the fork of the tree.
我蜷缩在树杈之间,
The branches lashed about me.
任凭枝叶的鞭打。
I felt the intermittent jarring that came now and then,
我断断续续地感到了身边强烈的震动,
as if something heavy had fallen and the shock had traveled up till it reached the limb I sat on.
仿佛有某种重物坠落。震颤在头顶上划过,一直传到了我身下的树杈上。
It worked my suspense up to the highest point,
我的不安已经达到了极限,
and just as I was thinking the tree and I should fall together,
因为我觉得我和大树会一起倒下。
my teacher seized my hand and helped me down.
幸好我的老师及时抓住了我的手,把我从树上弄下来。
I clung to her, trembling with joy to feel the earth under my feet once more.
我紧紧地依附在老师身边,高兴得浑身颤抖,我又一次感受到了脚下坚实的土地。
I had learned a new lesson—that nature "wages open war against her children,
我想我已经学会了新的一课——大自然时常会“向她的子民公然发起战争,
and under softest touch hides treacherous claws."
在其最温柔的触摸之下,隐藏着一双险恶的利爪”。
After this experience it was a long time before I climbed another tree.
在经历了这件事之后,有很长一段时间,我都没有再爬树。
The mere thought filled me with terror.
我留下来的唯一记忆就是恐惧。
It was the sweet allurement of the mimosa tree in full bloom that finally overcame my fears.
但是,金合欢树盛开的花朵和迷人的芬芳终于使我战胜了恐惧。
One beautiful spring morning when I was alone in the summer-house, reading,
那是一个春天的早晨,我正独自在凉亭里阅读。
I became aware of a wonderful subtle fragrance in the air.
渐渐地,我觉察到空气中弥漫着一股淡淡的香气。
I started up and instinctively stretched out my hands.
于是,我一下子站起来,本能地伸出双手,
It seemed as if the spirit of spring had passed through the summer-house.
仿佛在探寻着穿过凉亭的春天的气息。