Has anyone ever told you, "Stand up straight!" or scolded you for slouching at a family dinner?
有没有人曾经告诉过你:“不要弯腰驼背!”亦或是因为你在家庭晚餐的时候肩背佝偻而受到训斥。
Comments like that might be annoying, but they're not wrong.
但所谓忠言逆耳,他们并没有错。
Your posture, the way you hold your body when you're sitting or standing,
姿势,也就是你掌控自己身体的方式,例如坐姿和站姿
is the foundation for every movement your body makes,
不仅是你肢体做出每个动作的基础,
and can determine how well your body adapts to the stresses on it.
也能决定你的身体能承受多大压力。
These stresses can be things like carrying weight, or sitting in an awkward position.
这些压力可能来自于重物的搬运或者不正确的坐姿。
And the big one we all experience all day every day: gravity.
还有一项每天都在影响我们的:万有引力。
If your posture isn't optimal, your muscles have to work harder to keep you upright and balanced.
如果你的姿势不标准,你的肌肉需要更紧绷来保持身体的直立与平衡。
Some muscles will become tight and inflexbile. Others will be inhibited.
一些肌肉将会变得紧绷而且僵硬。还有一些会被拘束从而让人不自在。
Over time, these dysfunctional adaptations impair your body's ability to deal with the forces on it.
随着时间流逝,这些功能失调将会减弱你身体对外来压力的抵抗性。
Poor posture inflicts extra wear and tear on your joints and ligaments,
不良的姿势会给你的韧带和关节增加额外负担,从而撕裂它们,
increases the likelihood of accidents, and makes some organs, like your lungs, less efficient.
也会增加事故发生的可能性,同时让某些器官,比如肺的工作效率降低。
Researchers have linked poor posture to scoliosis, tension headaches, and back pain,
研究证明,不正确的姿势可导致的症状有:脊柱侧凸神经紧张性头痛以及背疼,
though it isn't the exclusive cause of any of them.
尽管不良姿势并不是这些症状的唯一诱因。
Posture can even influence your emotional state and your sensitivity to pain.
姿势甚至可以影响你的精神状态以及你对痛觉的敏感度。
So there are a lot of reasons to aim for good posture.
所以保持好的姿势是很必要的。
But it's getting harder these days.
但最近保持好姿势越来越难了。