The best gift I was ever given was to have the father that I had when I was born.
我收到的最棒的礼物 就是我出生时就拥有的那位父亲
I didn't want to go to college. I was 16 when I got out of high school and I was buying stocks.
我不想去上大学 我16岁时离开中学 就买股票了
I mean,I actually was having a pretty good time
我是说 我真的拥有很多时间
and I didn't see that really was much to be gained by going to college,but my dad kind of jollied me into it.
我并没有发现我去学校我能获得多少 但我父亲会拿这个开玩笑
He had a roommate who was a friend of mine,
他有一个室友是我的好朋友
and the roommate said it would just drive him crazy,
那室友说这让他疯狂
because he studied all the time,
因为他一直在学习
and Warren would come in 15 minutes before the exam and just ace his way through it.
沃伦会在考试前15分钟到场 用他的方式拿到高分
I finished in three years,cause I had enough credits,and I was in a hurry. I wanted to get out.
我三年就读完了 因为我拥有足够的学分 我想快点结束
When I got out of the University of Nebraska,I applied to Harvard Business school.
当我从内布拉斯加大学毕业 我申请了哈弗商学院
They told me I was to get interviewed in a place near Chicago.
他们告诉我去靠近芝加哥的地方面试
I got there, and he interviewed me for about 10 minutes,and he said, "Forget it.""You're not going to Harvard."
我到那 面试了我10分钟 他说 忘了它吧 你没被哈佛录取
And so now I'm thinking, "What do I tell my dad?
所以我现在想 我该和我父亲说什么
Oh, this is terrible." And it turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me.
这太糟糕了 结果这成了我遇到过的最好的事情
Later that summer,I was looking through a catalog
那个夏天的后半段 我在目录里找
and in the catalog, it had these names of people that were teaching,and one was Graham and another was Dodd.
在目录里 有的人在教书 一位是格拉汉姆 另一位是多德
I had read this book by the two of them,
这两位的书我都读过
so I wrote him a letter in mid-August,and I said, "Dear Professor Dodd,"I said, "I thought you guys were dead."
所以我在八月中给他写了信 信里写 亲爱的多德教授 我以为你们已经去世
"But, now that I found out that you're alive and teaching at Columbia, I would really like to come."
但我发现现在你们还活着 在哥伦比亚大学教书 我真的很想来
And he admitted me. So, you know what?That,it just shows, you never can tell.
然后他录取了我 你永远不会知道会发生什么