Then, in a lower tone, but still loud enough for me to hear, "I noticed her.
随后她压低了嗓门,不过还是响得让我能听见。
I am a judge of physiognomy, and in hers I see all the faults of her class."
"我注意到了她,我善观面相,在她身上我看到了她那类人的通病。"
"What are they, madam?" inquired Mr. Rochester aloud.
"表现在哪些方面,夫人?"罗切斯特先生大声问道。
"I will tell you in your private ear," replied she, wagging her turban three times with portentous significancy.
"我会私下告诉你的,"她答道,意味深长地把头巾甩了三下。
"But my curiosity will be past its appetite. It craves food now."
"不过我的好奇心会掉胃口:现在它急于要吃东西。"
"Ask Blanche. She is nearer you than I."
"问问布兰奇吧,她比我更靠近你。"
"Oh, don't refer him to me, mama!
"唉呀,可别把他交给我,妈妈!
I have just one word to say of the whole tribe. They are a nuisance.
对于她们那号人,我只有一句话要说:她们真讨厌。
Not that I ever suffered much from them.
并不是说我吃过她们很多苦头,
I took care to turn the tables.
我倒是刻意要把局面扭转过来。
What tricks Theodore and I used to play on our Miss Wilsons, and Mrs. Greys, and Madame Jouberts!
西奥多和我过去是怎样作弄威尔逊小姐、格雷太太和朱伯特夫人的呀!
Mary was always too sleepy to join in a plot with spirit.
玛丽常常困得厉害,提不起精神来参与我们的阴谋。
The best fun was with Madame Joubert.
戏弄朱伯特夫人最有趣。
Miss Wilson was a poor sickly thing, lachrymose and low-spirited, not worth the trouble of vanquishing, in short.
威尔逊小姐是个病弱的可怜虫,情绪低沉,好伤心落泪。总之,不值得费那番劲去征服她。
And Mrs. Grey was coarse and insensible. No blow took effect on her.
格雷太太又粗俗又麻木。对什么打击都不在乎。
But poor Madame Joubert! I see her yet in her raging passions, when we had driven her to extremities
但是可怜的朱伯特夫人就不一样啦!我们把她逼得急了,我见她会大发雷霆
spilt our tea, crumbled our bread and butter, tossed our books up to the ceiling,
我们把茶泼掉,把面包和奶油弄得稀巴烂,把书扔到天花板上,
and played a charivari with the ruler and desk, the fender and fire-irons.
捣弄着尺、书桌、火炉围栏和用具,闹得震天价响。
Theodore, do you remember those merry days?"
西奥多,你还记得那些欢乐的日子吗?"
"Yaas, to be sure I do," drawled Lord Ingram.
"是呀,当然记得,"英格拉姆勋爵慢吞吞地说。
"And the poor old stick used to cry out 'Oh you villains childs!'
"这可怜的老木瓜还常常大叫‘哎呀,你们这帮坏孩子?’
And then we sermonised her on the presumption of attempting to teach such clever blades as we were, when she was herself so ignorant."
随后我们教训了她一顿,其实是她自己那么无知,竟还想来教我们这些聪明的公子小姐。"