if not whether acts of torture can be morally excused after the fact.
如果不是那么酷刑是否在道德上可以得到原谅
And our first panelist pleased to introduce Claudia Card who's a professor of philosophy at the University of Wisconsin.
下面我很荣幸地介绍我们的第一位专家Claudia Card威斯康辛大学哲学教授
Thank you, I'm delighted to be here and learn all things that one learns from these wonderful papers.
谢谢我很高兴来到这里从大家精彩的论文里我学到了很多
Well, the title of my piece is ticking bombs and interrogation.
那么我要宣读的论文是定时炸弹和审问
Torturing to gain information on terrorism is an evil response to terrorism or so I argue.
在我看来使用酷刑手段获得恐怖主义活动的信息是一种罪恶的做法
In my book, 'The Atrocity Paradigm' I analyzed evils as reasonably foreseeable intolerable harms produced by culpable wrongs.
在我的书《残暴的范式:罪恶论》中我分析了罪恶是有罪的错误行为造成的相当的可预见的不能忍受的伤害
Reflection on responses to genocide terrorism
后来我对人们对于种族清洗的恐怖主义
and torture led me since to modify the wrong doing element of that analysis substituting inexcusable for culpable.
和酷刑进行反思也修改了自己之前的分析将有罪行为中的有罪一词换成了不可原谅的
I now define evils as, reasonable foreseeable intolerable harms produced by inexcusable wrongs.
那么现在我对于罪恶的定义就是由不可原谅的错误行为造成的相当的可预见的不能忍受的伤害
Inexcusable here means not just wrongs but indefensible. Not even partly justifiable.
这里的不可原谅指的不仅是错误行为而且是无辩护余地的一点都不可以辩解
On a practice such as torture is inexcusable, the norms that define that practice are morally indefensible.
没有辩护余地的像酷刑这样的做法是不可原谅的定义这种做法的规范在道德上也是
It is a separate question whether participants or supporters who apply those norms
但是应用这些规范的酷刑的执行者或者支持者这么做是否
are at fault for doing so. Their culpability is partly a function of their alternatives at the time and
有错就是另一个问题了他们的有罪性部分取决于当时情况下是否有其它选择
the nature of their participation or support.
以及他们参与和支持酷刑的性质