A sufficient interval having elapsed for the performers to resume their ordinary costume, they re-entered the dining-room.
随后是一段充分的休息时间,让表演者恢复原来的服装,他们再次走进餐室。
Mr. Rochester led in Miss Ingram.
罗切斯特先生领着英格拉姆小姐。
She was complimenting him on his acting.
她正夸奖着他的演技。
"Do you know," said she, that, of the three characters, I liked you in the last best?
"你可知道,"她说,在你饰演的三个人物中,我最喜欢最后一个。
Oh, had you but lived a few years earlier, what a gallant gentleman-highwayman you would have made!
啊,要是你早生几年,你很可能会成为一个英勇高贵的拦路强盗!
"Is all the soot washed from my face?" he asked, turning it towards her.
"我脸上的煤烟都洗干净了吗?"他向她转过脸问道。
Alas! yes. the more's the pity! Nothing could be more becoming to your complexion than that ruffian's rouge.
哎呀呀!全洗掉了,洗得越干净就越可惜!那个歹徒的紫红脸色同你的肤色再般配没有了。
You would like a hero of the road then?
那你喜欢剪径的强盗了?
An English hero of the road would be the next best thing to an Italian bandit,
就我喜好而言,一个英国的路盗仅次于一个意大利的土匪,
and that could only be surpassed by a Levantine pirate.
而意大利的土匪稍逊于地中海的海盗。
Well, whatever I am, remember you are my wife.
好吧,不管我是谁,记住你是我的妻子。
We were married an hour since, in the presence of all these witnesses. She giggled, and her colour rose.
一小时之前我们已结婚,当着所有的目击者。她吃吃一笑,脸上泛起了红晕。
"Now, Dent," continued Mr. Rochester, "it is your turn."
"嗨,登特,"罗切斯特先生继续说道,"该轮到你们了。"
And as the other party withdrew, he and his band took the vacated seats.
另一组人退下去后,他和他的伙伴们在腾出来的位置上坐了下来。
Miss Ingram placed herself at her leader's right hand.
英格拉姆小姐坐在首领的右侧。
The other diviners filled the chairs on each side of him and her.
其余的猜谜人坐在他们两旁的椅子上。
I did not now watch the actors.
这时我不去观看演员了。
I no longer waited with interest for the curtain to rise.
不再兴趣十足地等候幕启。
My attention was absorbed by the spectators.
我的注重力己被观众所吸引。
My eyes, erewhile fixed on the arch, were now irresistibly attracted to the semicircle of chairs.
我的目光刚才还盯着拱门,此时已不可抗拒地转向了排成半圆形的椅子。
What charade Colonel Dent and his party played, what word they chose, how they acquitted themselves,
登特上校和他的搭当们玩的是什么字谜游戏,选择了什么字,如何圆满地完成自己扮演的角色,
I no longer remember, but I still see the consultation which followed each scene.
我已无从记得,但每场演出后互相商量的情景,却历历如在目前。
I see Mr. Rochester turn to Miss Ingram, and Miss Ingram to him.
我看到罗切斯特先生转向英格拉姆小姐,英格拉姆小姐又转向罗切斯特先生。
I see her incline her head towards him, till the jetty curls almost touch his shoulder and wave against his cheek.
我看见她向他侧过头去,直到她乌油油的卷发几乎触到了他的肩膀,拂着了他的脸颊。
I hear their mutual whisperings.
我听到了他们相互间的耳语。
I recall their interchanged glances, and something even of the feeling roused by the spectacle returns in memory at this moment.
我回想起他们彼此交换的眼色,甚至这一情景在我心里所激起的某种情感,此刻也在我记忆中复活了。