"We shall endeavour to clear up these points for you.
"这一点我们将努力替你弄清楚。
And, first, one or two questions, Mr. Wilson.
但是,威尔逊先生,你要先回答我一两个问题。
This assistant of yours who first called your attention to the advertisement–how long had he been with you?"
第一个,叫你注意看广告的那位伙计,他在你那里多久啦?"
"About a month then." "How did he come?" "In answer to an advertisement."
"在发生这件事以前大约一个月。""他是怎么来的?""他是看广告应征来的。"
"Was he the only applicant?" "No, I had a dozen."
"只有他一个人申请吗?""不,有十来个人申请。"
"Why did you pick him?" "Because he was handy and would come cheap."
"你为什么选中他呢?""因为他灵巧,所费不多。"
"At half-wages, in fact." "Yes." "What is he like, this Vincent Spaulding?"
"实际上他只领一半工资?""是的。""这个文森特·斯波尔丁什么模样?"
"Small, stout-built, very quick in his ways, no hair on his face, though he's not short of thirty.
"小个子,体格健壮,动作很敏捷;虽然年龄约在三十开外,脸皮却很光滑。
Has a white splash of acid upon his forehead."
他的前额有一块被硫酸烧伤的白色伤疤。"
Holmes sat up in his chair in considerable excitement. "I thought as much," said he.
福尔摩斯十分兴奋地在椅子上挺直了身子。他说:"这些我都想到了。
"Have you ever observed that his ears are pierced for earrings?"
你有没有注意到他的两只耳朵穿了戴耳环的孔?"
"Yes, sir. He told me that a gypsy had done it for him when he was a lad."
"是的,先生。他对我说,是他年轻的时候一个吉普赛人给他在耳朵上穿的孔。"
"Hum!" said Holmes, sinking back in deep thought. "He is still with you?"
福尔摩斯说,"唔,"渐渐陷于沉思之中,"他还在你那里吗?"
"Oh, yes, sir; I have only just left him."
"噢,是的,我刚才就是从他那里来的。"
"And has your business been attended to in your absence?"
"你不在的时候生意一直由他照料吗?"
"Nothing to complain of, sir. There's never very much to do of a morning."
"先生,我对他的工作没有什么可抱怨的,上午本来就没有多少买卖。"
"That will do, Mr. Wilson. I shall be happy to give you an opinion upon the subject in the course of a day or two.
"行啦,威尔逊先生,我将愉快地在一两天内把我关于这件事的意见告诉你。
To-day is Saturday, and I hope that by Monday we may come to a conclusion."
今天是星期六,我希望到星期一我们就可以作出结论了。"