"You want to go home, no doubt, Doctor," he remarked as we emerged. "Yes, it would be as well."
当我们听完音乐走出来的时候,他说:"大夫,你无疑想要回家了吧。""是该回家了。"
"And I have some business to do which will take some hours. This business at Coburg Square is serious." "Why serious?"
"我还有点事要费几个小时才能办完。发生在科伯格广场的事是桩重大案件。""为什么是重大案件呢?"
"A considerable crime is in contemplation. I have every reason to believe that we shall be in time to stop it.
"有人正在密谋策划一桩重大罪案。我有充分理由相信我们将及时制止他们。
But to-day being Saturday rather complicates matters. I shall want your help to-night."
但是,今天是星期六,事情变得复杂起来了。今晚我需要你的帮忙。"
"At what time?" "Ten will be early enough."
"什么时间?""十点钟就够早了。"
"I shall be at Baker Street at ten."
"我十点到贝克街就是了。"
"Very well. And, I say, Doctor, there may be some little danger, so kindly put your army revolver in your pocket."
"那很好。不过,大夫,我说可能有点儿危险,请你把你在军队里使用过的那把手枪放在口袋里。"
He waved his hand, turned on his heel, and disappeared in an instant among the crowd.
他招了招手,转过身去,立即消失在人群中。
I trust that I am not more dense than my neighbours,
我敢说,我这个人并不比我的朋友们愚钝,
but I was always oppressed with a sense of my own stupidity in my dealings with Sherlock Holmes.
但是在我和歇洛克·福尔摩斯的交往中,我总感觉到一种压力:我自己太笨了。
Here I had heard what he had heard, I had seen what he had seen,
就拿这件事来说吧,他听到的我也都听到了,他见到的我也都见到了,
and yet from his words it was evident that he saw clearly not only what had happened but what was about to happen,
但从他的谈话中可以明显地看出,他不但清楚地了解到已经发生的事情,而且还预见到将要发生的事情;
while to me the whole business was still confused and grotesque.
而在我看来,这件事仍然是混乱和荒唐的。