He had taken my hand, as if to lead me to a chair.
他拉住了我的手,仿佛要领我坐到一条椅子上。
As I spoke he gave my wrist a convulsive grip.
我一说出口,他便一阵痉挛,紧紧抓住我的手。
The smile on his lips froze. Apparently a spasm caught his breath.
嘴上的笑容冻结了。显然一阵抽搐使他透不过气来。
"Mason! — the West Indies!" he said, in the tone one might fancy a speaking automaton to enounce its single words.
"梅森!— 西印度群岛!"他说,那口气使人想起一架自动说话机,吐着单个词汇。
"Mason! — the West Indies!" he reiterated.
"梅森!— 西印度群岛!"他念念有词。
And he went over the syllables three times, growing, in the intervals of speaking, whiter than ashes.
把那几个字重复了三遍,说话的间隙,脸色白加死灰。
He hardly seemed to know what he was doing.
几乎不知道自己在干什么。
"Do you feel ill, sir?" I inquired.
"你不舒服,先生?"我问。
"Jane, I've got a blow; I 've got a blow, Jane!" He staggered. Oh, lean on me, sir.
"简,我受了打击,我受了打击,简!"他身子摇摇晃晃。呵!靠在我身上,先生。
Jane, you offered me your shoulder once before; let me have it now.
简,你的肩膀曾支撑过我,现在再支撑一回吧。
Yes, sir, yes, and my arm.
好的,先生,好的,还有我的胳膊。
He sat down, and made me sit beside him.
他坐了下来,让我坐在他旁边。
Holding my hand in both his own, he chafed it. Gazing on me, at the same time, with the most troubled and dreary look.
用双手握住我的手,搓了起来。同时黯然神伤地凝视着我。
"My little friend!" said he, "I wish I were in a quiet island with only you,
"我的小朋友,"他说,"我真希望呆在一个平静的小岛上,只有你我在一起,
and trouble, and danger, and hideous recollections removed from me."
烦恼、危险、讨厌的往事都离我们远远的。"
Can I help you, sir? I'd give my life to serve you.
我能帮助你吗,先生?我愿献出生命,为你效劳。
Jane, if aid is wanted, I'll seek it at your hands. I promise you that.
"简,要是我需要援手,我会找你帮忙,我答应你。