And I'm going to admit something to you. I'm going to tell you something I probably shouldn't.
现在我想向大家坦白一件事。可能不该在这里说。
I know this might be broadcast broadly.
因为这个演讲是会到处播的。
But I'm 52 years old, and I'm going to admit to you that I've never had a drop of alcohol.
我今年五十二了,我要向大家承认,我从来没有喝过一滴酒。
I don't say that because I think that's virtuous; I say that because there is power in identity.
这不是为了显派我多有道德,是为了说明自我定位的威力。
When we create the right kind of identity, we can say things to the world around us that they don't actually believe makes sense.
当我们决定了正确的定位,我们就可以让全世界接受他们本来想不到的事情。
We can get them to do things that they don't think they can do.
我们能让世界做他们本来觉得做不到的事情。
When I thought about my grandmother, of course she would think all her grandkids were special.
当我想到我的外婆,她当然觉得每个外孙都很特别。
My grandfather was in prison during prohibition. My male uncles died of alcohol-related diseases.
我的外公因为违了禁在蹲监狱,我不止一个舅舅死于和酗酒有关的疾病。
And these were the things she thought we needed to commit to.
这些原则都是我外婆相信我们应该坚持的。
Well I've been trying to say something about our criminal justice system.
我想向大家介绍的是我们的刑事执法系统。
This country is very different today than it was 40 years ago.
和四十年前比,这个国家变了很多。
In 1972, there were 300,000 people in jails and prisons. Today, there are 2.3 million.
在1972年,监狱里只有三十万人。今天,有两百三十万。
The United States now has the highest rate of incarceration in the world.
今天美国是世界上服刑人口比例最高的国家。
We have seven million people on probation and parole.
我们有七百万人在缓刑期和假释期。
And mass incarceration, in my judgment, has fundamentally changed our world.
在我看来,这样的大量判刑完全改变了我们的世界。
In poor communities, in communities of color there is this despair, there is this hopelessness, that is being shaped by these outcomes.
在贫穷的社区里,在有色人种社区里,充满了绝望,这样的绝望是由这些改变带来的。
One out of three black men between the ages of 18 and 30 is in jail, in prison, on probation or parole.
三分之一的黑人男性,十八岁到三十岁之间的,不是在监狱里,就是在缓刑期或者假释期。
In urban communities across this country -- Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington
在全国各处的城市社区里--洛杉矶,费城,巴尔的摩,华盛顿,
50 to 60 percent of all young men of color are in jail or prison or on probation or parole.
百分之五十到六十的有色人种的年轻人不是在监狱里,就是在缓刑期或者假释期。