A couple months went by, and I had just forgotten all about it.
几个月过去了,我全忘了有这么回事。
And I finally decided, oh gosh, I've got to go to the court and do this crazy case.
最后我决定,天哪,我得上庭去做这个案子。
And I got into my car and I was feeling really overwhelmed -- overwhelmed.
我跳上车,觉得很紧张--非常紧张。
And I got in my car and I went to this courthouse.
我上车开到法庭。
And I was thinking, this is going to be so difficult, so painful.
我在想,这将会是场硬仗,会很痛苦。
And I finally got out of the car and I started walking up to the courthouse.
最后我终于钻出车子,开始往法庭走。
And as I was walking up the steps of this courthouse, there was an older black man who was the janitor in this courthouse.
当我上台阶时,有个上了年纪的黑人老伯,他是法院的清洁工。
When this man saw me, he came over to me and he said, "Who are you?"
他看见我,跑过来问:“你是谁?”
I said, "I'm a lawyer." He said, "You're a lawyer?" I said, "Yes, sir."
我说:“我是律师。”他说:“你,是律师?”我说:“是的。先生。”
And this man came over to me and he hugged me. And he whispered in my ear.
这个老伯凑过来,给了我一个拥抱。他在我耳边低语。
He said, "I'm so proud of you." And I have to tell you, it was energizing.
他说:“我真为你骄傲。”我得和大家承认,这可给了我一针强心剂。
It connected deeply with something in me about identity,
他的话提醒了我心深处我的自我定位,
about the capacity of every person to contribute to a community, to a perspective that is hopeful.
提醒了我每个人都应该对社会,对更好的前景做出的贡献。