I gave her my whole rap, and when I finished she looked at me and she said, "Mmm mmm mmm."
我做了一个全本无删减的演讲,当我结束时,她盯着我说:“别别别。”
She said, "That's going to make you tired, tired, tired."
她说:“这些会让你很累,很累,很累的。”
And that's when Ms. Carr leaned forward, she put her finger in my face,
这时卡尔夫人凑过来,她把手放在我脸边说:
she said, "That's why you've got to be brave, brave, brave."
“这就是为什么你要很勇敢很勇敢很勇敢。”
And I actually believe that the TED community needs to be more courageous.
我确信TED这个社会需要更有胆量些。
We need to find ways to embrace these challenges, these problems, the suffering.
我们需要找到出路,来面对这些挑战,这些问题,这些痛苦。
Because ultimately, our humanity depends on everyone's humanity.
因为最终,我们的整体的人性取决于每个人的人性。
I've learned very simple things doing the work that I do. It's just taught me very simple things.
在我的工作中,我学到了非常简单的原则。
I've come to understand and to believe that each of us is more than the worst thing we've ever done.
我开始理解,开始相信,我们每一个人都不会被我们最坏的一面所定义。
I believe that for every person on the planet.
我相信,这适用于这个星球上的每一个人。
I think if somebody tells a lie, they're not just a liar.
如果他撒了个谎,并不说明他就是个骗子。
I think if somebody takes something that doesn't belong to them, they're not just a thief.
如果他拿了不属于他的东西,并不说明他就是个惯偷。
I think even if you kill someone, you're not just a killer.
甚至你杀了人,并不说明你就是个冷血杀手。
And because of that there's this basic human dignity that must be respected by law.
因为我相信人类有基本的尊严,法律必须尊重它。
I also believe that in many parts of this country, and certainly in many parts of this globe, that the opposite of poverty is not wealth.
我也相信,在我们国家的很多地方,当然甚至这个世界的很多地方,贫穷的反面,不是富裕。
I don't believe that. I actually think, in too many places, the opposite of poverty is justice.
我不相信这个。我认为,在很多很多地方,贫穷的反面,是公正。
And finally, I believe that, despite the fact that it is so dramatic and so beautiful and so inspiring and so stimulating,
最后,我相信,尽管(我们的科技和设计)很有声色,很美妙,很鼓动人心,也很刺激,
we will ultimately not be judged by our technology, we won't be judged by our design, we won't be judged by our intellect and reason.
但我们本身最终不会被科技所评价,也不会被设计所衡量,我们也不会被智慧和哲学来打分。
Ultimately, you judge the character of a society, not by how they treat their rich and the powerful and the privileged,
最终,人们会评价我们这个社会,不是根据我们怎么款待富人,有特权的人,
but by how they treat the poor, the condemned, the incarcerated.
而是根据我们怎么对待穷人,被谴责的人,被囚禁的人。
Because it's in that nexus that we actually begin to understand truly profound things about who we are.
因为正是在这个合流点,我们真正地开始对于我们是什么样的人有了深入的理解。