said one of the Munchkins, "and there is some charm connected with them; but what it is we never knew."
一个芒奇金人说。“银鞋子有魔力;但究竟是什么样的魔力,我们不知道。”
Dorothy carried shoes into the house and place them on the table.
多萝茜把银鞋子放回板屋,把它放在桌子上。
Then she came out again to the Munchkins and said:
然后再出来走到芒奇金人的面前,问道:
"I am anxious to get back to my aunt and uncle, for I am sure they will worry about me.
“我非常希望能回到我的婶婶和叔叔身边,我想他们一定很担心我。
Can you help me find my way?"
你们能告诉我回去的路吗?”
The Munchkins and the Witch first looked one another, and then at Dorothy, and then shook their heads.
芒奇金人和女巫相互看了看,随后他们看着多萝茜,摇摇头。
"At the East, not far from here," said one, "there is a great desert and none could live to cross it."
“在东方,离这里不远,”一个芒奇金人说,“那儿是大沙漠,没有一个人能穿越它。”
"It is the same at the South," said another, "for I have been there and seen it.
另外一个芒奇金人说:“在南方也是大沙漠,因为我就住在那儿,看得很清楚的。
The South is the country of the Quadlings."
南方是桂特林人的地方。”
"I am told," said the third man, "That it is the same at the West.
第三个芒奇金人说:“据我所知,在西方也是大沙漠。
And that country, where the winkies live, is ruled by the Wicked Witch of the West, who would make you her slave if you
passed her way."
那地方住着的是温基人,被西方坏女巫控制着,你从那里路过,就会被你抓去做奴隶。”
"The North is my home," said the old lady, "and at its edge is the same great desert that surrounds this Land of Oz.
“我的家在北方,”小老妇人说,“那是边界,围绕着这奥芝地区,都是无尽的沙漠。
I am afraid, my dear, you will have to live with us."
宝贝儿,我想,你不得不和我们一起住了。”
Dorothy began to sob at this, for she felt lonely among all these strange people.
多萝茜伤心地哭了,如果她住在这些奇怪的人们中间会感到寂寞的。
Her tears seemed to grieved the kind-hearted Munchins, for they immediately took out their handkerchiefs and began to
weep also.
她的眼泪似乎使得好心的芒奇金人受到感染,他们也立即拿出手帕哭了起来。
As for the little old woman, she took out her cap and balanced the point on the end of her nose, while she counted "One,
two, three" in a solemn voice.
至于那小老妇人,脱下她的帽子,将尖端顶在她的鼻尖上,同时用一种庄严的声音,数着“一、二、三。”
At once, the cap changed to a slate, on which was written in big white chalk marks:
这帽子马上化做一块石板,上面显出几个巨大的白粉字: