Dialogue 1
Jingjing and Mark are chatting on the subway.
京晶和马克在地铁上聊天。
Jingjing: Is this seat taken?
京晶:这个座位有人坐吗?
Mark: Go ahead. Oh, Jingjing, it's you!
马克:没人,你坐吧。哎呀,是你呀京晶!
Jingjing: I'm on my way to work.
京晶:我这是去上班路上
Mark: Me too, I'm just looking through WeChat moments to pass the time.
马克:我也是。我一直在看微信朋友圈打发时间。
Jingjing: Have you noticed any trends in people's posts?
京晶:你注意到最近的发布热点了吗?
Mark: Yeah. Lately, a lot of people have been posting pictures of when they were 18 years old.
马克:注意到了。最近,有许多人都在晒自己十八岁时的照片。
Jingjing: Do you know why that is?
京晶:你知道为什么会这样吗?
Mark: Let me guess: since it's 2018, someone got the idea, and it went viral.
马克:我猜猜,因为2018年了,有人有了这个想法,然后就广泛地流行开来。
Jingjing: That's a good guess. This coming year is also the first year that the post-90s generation can no longer call themselves teenagers.
京晶:这个猜得好!这新的一年也是九零后们不能再把自己叫做“青少年”的第一年。
Mark: You know what I noticed about all those pictures?
马克:你知道我在所有的这些照片里注意到什么了吗?
Jingjing: What was that?
京晶:什么呢?
Mark: Fewer of them were selfies.
马克:很少有自拍。
Jingjing: I don't know if that means people took fewer selfies when they were 18.
京晶:我不知道这是不是说明人们十八岁时更少自拍。
Mark: Yeah, I guess if you have a whole year of photos to choose from, you don't have to use a selfie.
马克:对啊,我猜如果你有一整年的照片可以选,不需要非选自拍嘛。
Jingjing: The most charming ones are group photos, showing what people were doing when they were 18 years old.
京晶:最吸引人最好看的就是集体合影了,展示了人们在十八岁的时候都在干什么。
Mark: Right. It's cool to see what hobbies and interests people had when they were younger.
马克:对。很酷,能看见人们在年轻一些的时候都有哪些喜好和兴趣。
Jingjing: It's a nice trend, looking back on innocent times.
京晶:很好的一个潮流,回望青葱岁月。
Mark: You said it.
马克:是啊!
New words: 习语短语
trends 潮流,趋势
something that more and more people are doing (a general change in the way people are behaving, or a behavior that is very common for a short time)
went viral 社交媒体上的快速广泛的传播
spread quickly, especially a video posted on social media
post-90s generation 90 后
people in 1990 or afterwards (but not after 2000)
Dialogue 2
Later on, a bunch of people get off the subway, and it is quiet enough to talk again.
接下来,一群人下车了,安静得又可以继续聊天
Jingjing: Are you still looking at WeChat moments?
京晶:你还在看微信朋友圈吗?
Mark: Kind of. I'm having a look at my subscriptions. There's already an article about why people are posting pictures of themselves as 18-year-olds.
马克:在吧。我在看我的订阅。这里已经有篇文章在说人们为什么要晒自己十八岁时的照片。
Jingjing: Does it give the same reason I told you?
京晶:也给出了我给你说的同样的理由吗?
Mark: Yeah, and it talks a little about other social media trends.
马克:对,也谈到了一点其他社交媒体上流行的东东。
Jingjing: Is there a general pattern?
京晶:有普遍模式吗?
Mark: There might be. You know, each of these trends starts out as a cute joke. It becomes wildly popular, and everyone wants to get involved. Then, a few people make a joke about the joke. Finally everyone forgets about it.
马克:可能有哦。你知道,每个这样的潮流都是从一个可爱的笑话开始。然后广为流行,然后每个人都想参与其中玩起来。然后,又有一些人开这个玩笑的玩笑,最终人们把这事儿给忘了。
Jingjing: It seems like the 18-year-old posts are still a pretty hot trend. I wonder what the joke could be?
京晶:看上去18岁晒照这事儿还挺火的。我在想这可能会是个什么玩笑呢?
Mark: Well, the article predicts that people will post pictures of themselves at 18-months old, or post pictures of famous people (like Donald Trump or Lù Hán) when they were 18 years old.
马克:这篇文章预计人们会晒自己十八个月时的照片,或者发名人十八岁时的照片(比如特朗普或者鹿晗)
Jingjing: Those would be pretty funny.
京晶:那些就挺好玩了。
Mark: There's even a guy that takes old social media trends and makes new videos about them.
马克:甚至还有一个人把老的社交媒体梗又拿出来做了新的视频。
Jingjing: How does that work?
京晶:怎么弄呢?
Mark: Well, he must have access to the sets at a movie studio. He took the ice bucket challenge, and set it at the time of the Beijing Olympics. Everyone's wearing those volunteer uniforms.
马克:他肯定在电影工作室有门路。他参加了冰桶挑战,然后把时间设置在了北京奥运会上,每个人都穿着志愿者制服。
Jingjing: Let me see. Oh yeah, here's another one where people—it looks like the Tang dynasty—are eating fresh dates and bananas.
京晶:让我看看。这儿还有另一个,时间好像—看着像唐朝呢!在吃鲜枣儿和香蕉。
Mark: That one's good for a laugh. Those videos make it look like he was the one who started each of these trends.
马克:那个真够逗的。那些视频看着好像他就是开启所有这些潮流的人呢。
Jingjing: Interesting idea. I wonder what he'd do with the 18-year-old trend.
京晶:好玩的想法。我很好奇重返十八岁他会玩点什么?
New words: 习语短语
wildly popular 超级流行
so popular that people do/like it without knowing the reason
ice bucket challenge 冰桶挑战
a social media trend, in which people dumped buckets of ice water on themselves and collected money for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis research (aka ALS ice bucket challenge)
good for a laugh 太好笑值得一看
funny, worth seeing/reading just because it's funny