Ira: It’s amazing that everybody in your family works in the sciences.
厄玛:你全家人都从事科学方面的工作,太不可思议了。
Shirley: Yeah, my parents are both in the social sciences. My father is a psychologist and my mother is an economist.
雪莉:对,我父母的岗位属于社会科学领域。我父亲是心理学家,母亲是经济学家。
Ira: And your sister Shonda?
厄玛:你姐姐珊达呢?
Shirley: She’s an astronomer. She initially wanted to study physics, but changed her mind. Her partner is a geologist.
雪莉:她是天文学家。最初,她想攻读物理,但又改变了主意。她的丈夫是地质学家。
Ira: Is your brother also in astronomy?
厄玛:你哥哥也在天文领域工作吗?
Shirley: No, he’s a biologist and his wife does chemistry research.
雪莉:不是,他是生物学家,他的妻子做化学方面的研究。
Ira: How about your other brother? What does he do?
厄玛:你另外的一位哥哥呢?他是做什么的?
Shirley: Um, we don’t . . . I mean he’s not involved in the social sciences, life sciences, or physical sciences.
雪莉:嗯,我们并没有......我是说他与社会科学,生命科学,或物理科学一点都不挨边。
Ira: If I remember correctly, he was always good at math and liked computers. Is he in computer science?
厄玛:如果我没记错的话,他一直很擅长数学,喜欢计算机。那他从事的是计算机科学?
Shirley: No, he’s not. All right, he’s a writer, but we have every confidence that he’ll grow out of it.
雪莉:并不是。不瞒你说,他只是一名作家,不过我们相信以后他会“弃笔从科”的。
译文属可可原创,仅供学习交流使用,未经许可请勿转载