"We have got to the deductions and the inferences," said Lestrade, winking at me.
雷斯垂德一面对我使了个眼色一面说:"我们已经用演绎法来推断过了。
"I find it hard enough to tackle facts, Holmes, without flying away after theories and fancies."
福尔摩斯,我觉得,不去轻率地空发议论和想入非非,专门去调查核实事实就已经够难办的了。"
"You are right," said Holmes demurely; "you do find it very hard to tackle the facts."
福尔摩斯很有风趣地说:"你说得对,你确实觉得核实事实很难办。"
"Anyhow, I have grasped one fact which you seem to find it difficult to get hold of," replied Lestrade with some warmth. "And that is..."
雷斯垂德有点激动地回答说:"不管怎么样,我已经掌握了一个你似乎难以掌握的事实。""那就是..."
"That McCarthy senior met his death from McCarthy junior and that all theories to the contrary are the merest moonshine."
"那就是麦卡锡死于小麦卡锡之手,与此相反的一切说法都是空谈。"
"Well, moonshine is a brighter thing than fog," said Holmes, laughing.
福尔摩斯笑着说:"唔,月光总比迷雾要明亮些。
"But I am very much mistaken if this is not Hatherley Farm upon the left." "Yes, that is it."
左边不就是哈瑟利农场了吗,你们看是不是?""是的,那就是。"
It was a widespread, comfortable-looking building, two-storied, slate-roofed,
那是一所占地面积很大、样式令人感到舒适惬意的两层石板瓦顶楼房,
with great yellow blotches of lichen upon the gray walls.
灰色的墙上长着大片大片的黄色苔藓。
The drawn blinds and the smokeless chimneys, however, gave it a stricken look,
然而窗帘低垂,烟囱也不冒烟,显得很凄凉的样子,
as though the weight of this horror still lay heavy upon it.
仿佛这次事件的恐怖气氛仍然沉甸甸地压在它的上面似的。