On his first Thursday back at Apple, Jobs called for a telephonic board meeting and outlined the problem.
在回到苹果的第一个周四,乔布斯召集了董事会电话会议,提出了这个问题。
The directors balked. They asked for time to do a legal and financial study of what the change would mean.
董事们犹豫不决。他们让他作一下法律和财务研究,看看这个变化意味着什么。
"It has to be done fast," Jobs told them. "We're losing good people."
“这事必须要尽快做,”乔布斯告诉他们,“我们正在流失人才。”
Even his supporter Ed Woolard, who headed the compensation committee, objected.
即使是他的支持者,时任薪酬委员会主席的埃德·伍拉德也表示反对。
"At DuPont we never did such a thing," he said.
“在杜邦公司我们从来没做过这样的事,”他说。
"You brought me here to fix this thing, and people are the key," Jobs argued.
“你们是让我来解决问题的,而人才是问题的关键。”乔布斯争论道。
When the board proposed a study that could take two months, Jobs exploded: "Are you nuts?!?"
当董事会建议进行一项可能会耗时两个月的调研时,乔布斯爆发了。“你们疯了吗?!”
He paused for a long moment of silence, then continued.
他默默地停顿了很久,然后继续说,
"Guys, if you don't want to do this, I'm not coming back on Monday.
“诸位,如果你们不愿这样做,我下周一就不回来上班了。
Because I've got thousands of key decisions to make that are far more difficult than this,
因为我将面临成千上万个比这困难得多的决定要做,
and if you can't throw your support behind this kind of decision, I will fail.
如果你们在这样的决定上都不支持我,我注定会失败。
So if you can't do this, I'm out of here, and you can blame it on me, you can say, 'Steve wasn't up for the job.'"
所以如果你们不批准,我就辞职,你们可以怪到我头上,你们可以说,‘史蒂夫没准备好做这个工作。’”