I think we have to do something about a piece of the culture of medicine that has to change.
我觉得在当今的医学文化中,有一部份文化必须要开始改变。
And I think it starts with one physician, and that's me.
而这个改变可以从一个医生开始,那就是我。
And maybe I've been around long enough that I can afford to give away some of my false prestige to be able to do that.
或许是因为我已经行医多年,我可以承受放弃一些虚无的名利来开始这样的改变。
Before I actually begin the meat of my talk, let's begin with a bit of baseball. Hey, why not?
在进入主题之前,让我们先谈谈棒球吧。为什么不呢?
We're near the end, we're getting close to the World Series. We all love baseball, don't we?
常规赛季就快结束,世界职业棒球大赛即将开始。我们都喜爱棒球,不是吗?
Baseball is filled with some amazing statistics. And there's hundreds of them.
棒球的世界中充斥着成千上百种让人咋舌的统计数据。
"Moneyball" is about to come out, and it's all about statistics and using statistics to build a great baseball team.
即将上映的电影《点球成金》,便是完全关于统计数据,以及如何在这些数据的基础上建造一个伟大的球队。
I'm going to focus on one stat that I hope a lot of you have heard of. It's called batting average.
我想讲一个我希望大家都听说过的数据,叫做击球率。
So we talk about a 300, a batter who bats 300.
当我们说一名挥棒球员的击球率为三成的时候,
That means that ballplayer batted safely, hit safely three times out of 10 at bats.
我们是指这位球员的打击非常稳定,每十次种就会有三次安打。
That means hit the ball into the outfield, it dropped, it didn't get caught,
安打意味着球会被击中并被打入外野,而且并不会被立刻接杀,
and whoever tried to throw it to first base didn't get there in time and the runner was safe.
球也不会在跑者成功上到一垒之前被及时的传回。
Three times out of 10. Do you know what they call a 300 hitter in Major League Baseball?
十次中有三次安打。各位知道棒球大联盟如何评论这些击球率上了三成的球员吗?
Good, really good, maybe an all-star.
很棒,非常棒,明星球员一般的棒。
Do you know what they call a 400 baseball hitter?
各位知道他们又是如何称呼一位击球率有着四成,
That's somebody who hit, by the way, four times safely out of every 10.
也就是每十次打击就会打出四个安打的球员吗。
Legendary -- as in Ted Williams legendary -- the last Major League Baseball player to hit over 400 during a regular season.
是传奇--像泰德·威廉斯那样的传奇--他是棒球大联盟里最后一个在常规赛中拥有超过四成击球率的球员。