Now let's take this back into my world of medicine where I'm a lot more comfortable,
现在让我们回到我的世界,医疗领域。这个领域我比较熟悉,
or perhaps a bit less comfortable after what I'm going to talk to you about.
但我接下来要说的却让我有些困扰。
Suppose you have appendicitis and you're referred to a surgeon who's batting 400 on appendectomies.
假设你得了阑尾炎,然后你被推荐给了一位在阑尾移除手术中有着四成“击球率”的外科医生。
Somehow this isn't working out, is it?
这听起来怪怪的,对吧?
Now suppose you live in a certain part of a certain remote place
又假设你住在某一个较为偏远的地区,
and you have a loved one who has blockages in two coronary arteries
而你所爱的人的两条冠状动脉都被堵塞,
and your family doctor refers that loved one to a cardiologist who's batting 200 on angioplasties.
你的家庭医生将她推荐给了一位在血管成形手术上有着两成“击球率”的心脏科医师。
But, but, you know what? She's doing a lot better this year.
但是,等等,你知道吗?她今年的表现有着很大的提高。
She's on the comeback trail. And she's hitting a 257. Somehow this isn't working.
她的水准也在恢复。她的“击球率”达到了两成五。但是这样还是不能被接受。
But I'm going to ask you a question.
而我现在想问各位一个问题。
What do you think a batting average for a cardiac surgeon or a nurse practitioner or an orthopedic surgeon,
你们认为,一位心脏外科医生,或一位职业护理师,一位骨科外科医生,
an OBGYN, a paramedic is supposed to be? 1,000, very good.
妇产科医生或急救人员的“击球率”应该是多少?十成?非常好。
Now truth of the matter is, nobody knows in all of medicine what a good surgeon or physician or paramedic is supposed to bat.
事实上,医学界中没有人知道一个好的外科医生,医师或急救人员应该有多少的“击球率”。
What we do though is we send each one of them, including myself, out into the world with the admonition, be perfect.
我们将他们每个人,包括我自己,送上职业岗位后,便告诫他们以完美来要求自己。
Never ever, ever make a mistake, but you worry about the details, about how that's going to happen.
绝对,绝对不能作出错误的诊断--但我们让他们自己考虑细节,考虑如何达到这样的标准。