They experience painful emotions, the difference between them and the rest was
他们经历过痛苦,他们与剩下的人之间的区别是
that they recovered more promptly as a result of different interpretations.
由于不同的诠释,他们恢复得更迅速
So when they felt down, they were optimistic instead of saying "ok, so I'm going to feel down for the rest of the month",
所以他们沮丧时,他们很乐观,不说“这个月剩下的日子我都会沮丧”
they said "ok, so I'm feeling down, big deal.
他们说“我很沮丧,没什么大不了”
What can I learn from it? What happen? How can I make myself feel better?"
我能从中学到什么?发生了什么?我怎样让自己感觉好点
And then they recovered more promptly than the pessimists, the people who remained depressed for a much longer time.
然后他们比悲观者恢复得更快,悲观者会沮丧很长一段时间
You see, events happen, things happen in the world, very often out of our control.
事件发生,世上有很多事发生,经常不受我们的控制
We don't create everything that we encounter.
我们不能创造所有遇到的事物
And some of the events are bad, some are negative.
有些事件是不好的,有些是消极的
What matters more is what we do with them after, how we evaluate them.
更重要的是我们之后怎样对待它们,怎样评估它们
And what happens is that our evaluation becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, because a pessimist will say
事实上我们的评估成了自我实现预言,因为悲观者会说
"I'm in a bad mood now, it's going to last for a very long time, it's not going to go away",
"我现在心情不好会持续很长时间,不会消失"
whereas an optimist says "it's temporary, it's going to go away" and believes our self-fulfilling prophecies.
而乐观者会说"这是暂时的,会消失的",并相信我们的自我实现预言
If I believe that it will last for six months, it's much more likely,
如果我认为它会持续六个月,它更有可能
not necessarily, but it's much more likely to last for six months than if I say "that too shall pass".
不一定,但更可能持续六个月,比我说“那也会过去的”