And it's up to us to decide where we focus.
要关注什么由我们自己决定
Do we celebrate successes or take it for granted?
我们庆祝成功或视为理所当然
Do we perceive failures and hardships as a disaster or as an opportunity for growth?
我们觉得失败和困难都是灾难,或是成长的机会
Emerson: "to different minds the same world is a hell and a heaven."
爱默生说过:“对不同思想而言,世界既是天堂又是地狱”
And Shakespeare: "Nothing is good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
莎士比亚说过:“事情没有好坏之分,只是思想使然”
Now, I don't 100 per cent agree with Shakespeare, but he is to a great extent right. A person in Darfur is living in hell,
我不是百分之一百同意莎士比亚,但从很大程度上看他是对的,住在达尔富尔的人就像生活在地狱中
and it's very difficult to reframe, and to derive, and to look at the positive in that situation.
很难改变环境,并在那样的处境中表现得积极乐观
Same for a person living in a concentration camp.
对住在集中营的人也一样
So there are external circumstances that matter. A person, a homeless person, you know, if you give them enough money for a home,
所以有的外部情况会有影响。一个人,无家可归的人,如果给他们足够的钱买房子,
for food, for basic education, of course they will become happier because of the change of external circumstances.
买食物,接受基础的教育,他们当然会更快乐,因为外部情况的改变
However, beyond the basic needs, beyond the basic freedoms,
然而,在基本需要和基本的自由外
it is mostly about how we perceive reality, and we are able to make it into a heaven or a hell.
主要和我们如何认知现实有关,以及我们如何让生活变成天堂或地狱
Let's do an exercise that will capture this idea of "focus creating reality".
我们做个练习,来帮助我们理解"专注创造现实"这一观点