This Great Big Story was made possible by P&G. Love Over Bias
感谢宝洁对本期伟大的故事的大力支持,超越偏见之爱。
I'm Eric Mason, I'm a mother, and I'm a transgender guy.
我是艾瑞克·梅森,我是一名妈妈,也是跨性别男性。
Corey is my 15-year-old transgender daughter.
科瑞是我的女儿,15岁了,也是变性人。
I started transitioning almost two years ago, and Corey started transitioning almost five years ago.
我大概是两年前做的手术,科瑞大概是五年前。
I've always known that I was different. I've always known that I'm not the “normal” boy.
大家一直都觉得我跟别人不一样,觉得我并不是一个“正常的”男生。
I was never like, happy, I was always negative.
我好像从来都没有开心过,一直都很消极。
When I first put on some make up, I was like...wow .
第一次涂上化妆品时,我的反应是……哇!
My family is made up of me, my husband, and my five children.
我们家有我,我老公,还有我们的五个孩子。
I waited, um, until Corey was completely through her transition before I, I, came out myself.
直到科瑞手术彻底成功之后,我才对自己的性别感到释然。
It was really hard keeping that secret from my family, especially from my husband.
要对家人,尤其是我丈夫保守这个秘密真的是太难了。
But, at the time I just knew I had to focus on my child.
但是那个时候我知道我必须把注意力全部放在我孩子的身上。
I've been bullied since fifth grade and still getting bullied sometimes.
我从五年级就开始被同学欺负,现在偶尔也还是会被欺负。
When kids said I should go and kill myself, because I was different,
其他孩子说我和大家不一样我应该去死的时候,
I'm sorry.
抱歉,我失态了。
When my mom came out I was like, I'm not alone anymore.
当我妈妈勇敢地改变自己的性别的时候,我觉得我不再孤单了。
We can actually understand what we're going through with each other,
我们能够理解对方的感受,
we can, you know, talk to each other if we're having a bad day.
如果哪天不开心我们也可以找对方倾诉。
Me supporting Corey is, in my opinion, what you're supposed to do as a parent.
在我看来,我对科瑞的支持在大家看来不过是父母的应尽之责。
You're supposed to support your children no matter what.
不管发生什么使,父母都应该支持自己的孩子。
So I don't feel like I did anything special, I didn't.
所以我并不觉得自己做了什么特别的事情,并没有。
I just love my kid.
我只是爱我自己的孩子。
I love my kid no matter what she looks like, no matter who she wants to be.
不管她长什么样,也不管她想成为什么样子,我都爱她。
We are stronger as a family.
在一起,我们变得更坚强了。
I think any time you are living your authentic self and you are living your truth,
我觉得,只要你遵从自己的内心,活出真我,
it makes you a better person overall, it makes you a better parent, it makes you a better spouse.
你就会越来越优秀,就能成为一个优秀的父母,优秀的配偶。
My family is everything.
家庭就是我的一切。
We fight, we laugh, we cry, we're a typical family.
我们也会吵架,会笑,会哭,我们家也是一个典型家庭的样子。
We just look a little different.
只是看着不太一样罢了。
That's it! That's all it boils down to.
仅此而已,归结起来就是这么一点。