Kate Upton shines a light on fashion's biggest problem with her #MeToo story
凯特·阿普顿用她被性骚扰的亲身经历为我们讲述时尚圈最大的问题
By Eliana Dockterman
作者:依莲娜·多克特尔曼
IT BEGAN WITH A TWEET.ON JAN.31, SUPERMODEL KATE Upton wrote,
一切还要从1月31日的一条推文说起,超模凯特·阿普顿在推文中写道,
"It's disappointing that such an iconic women's brand @Guess is still empowering Paul Marciano as their creative director #metoo."
“#metoo Guess这样的女性大牌竟然还在聘保罗·马西亚诺当他们的创意总监,实在是令人失望。”
In an interview with TIME, Upton detailed her claims against Marciano, co-founder and former CEO of Guess,
在接受本刊采访时,阿普顿详细说明了她对Guess联合创始人兼前CEO马西亚诺的控诉,
who she says assaulted and began harassing her during her first professional modeling campaign when she was 18.
她说,自己18岁首次走秀时马西亚诺就开始袭击她,骚扰她了。
Harassment has plagued the fashion industry for decades, but allegations have often been ignored.
数十年来,性骚扰问题一直困扰着时尚界,然而,这方面的指控始终没有得到重视。
Many models work as independent contractors and have few legal protections;
许多模特签的都是独立合同,几乎得不到法律的保护;
last month lawmakers introduced a bill in New York that would hold designers, retailers and agencies accountable for abuses.
上个月,国会议员在纽约推出了一项新法案,胡作非为的设计师、零售商和代理商将会被追究责任。
In a statement to TIME, Marciano called the accusations "absolutely false" and "preposterous."
在给本刊的一份声明中,马西亚诺称这些指控“全都是假的”,“简直荒谬可笑”。
I have never been alone with Kate Upton, he said. "I have never touched her inappropriately.
“我从未和凯特·安普顿单独相处过,”他说。 “我从来没有对她有过任何不当触碰。
Nor would I ever refer to a Guess model in such a derogatory manner."
我也不会这样贬损Guess的模特。”
A representative for Guess declined to comment.
Guess某代表拒绝发表评论。
Photographer Yu Tsai says he witnessed the harassment Upton describes and corroborated details of her allegations.
摄影师蔡羽说他亲眼目睹了安普顿所说的的骚扰,他也证实了她指控的细节。
What happened with Paul Marciano?
和保罗·马西亚诺之间到底是怎么回事呢?
After the first day of shooting the Guess Lingerie campaign in 2010, Paul Marciano said he wanted to meet with me.
2010年拍完Guess内衣秀首日活动之后,保罗·马西亚诺说他想和我见个面。
As soon as I walked in with photographer Yu Tsai,
我和摄影师蔡羽一进去,
Paul came straight up to me, forcibly grabbed my breasts and started feeling them—playing with them actually.
保罗就立刻朝我走过来,强行抓住我的胸,开始摸我的胸——准确地说是玩弄。
After I pushed him away, he said, "I'm making sure they're real."
我把他推开之后,他说,“我只是确认一下它们是不是真的啊。”
Despite doing everything I could physically do to avoid his touch throughout the meeting,
在整个见面过程中,尽管我已经拼尽全力躲开他的触摸了,
he continued to touch me in a very dominating and aggressive way, grabbing my thighs, my arms to pull me closer,
他还是非常强硬,非常蛮横地摸我,抓着我的大腿,我的手臂把我往他那边拉,
my shoulders to pull me closer, my neck, my breasts, and smelling me.
抓我的肩膀,搂我的脖子,我的胸把我往他那边拽,还凑到我身上闻来闻去。
He then told Yu Tsai to leave us alone.
接着他又让蔡羽走开,好单独和我相处。
I was able to send a quick text to Yu Tsai asking him to stay.
我连忙快速地示意蔡羽不要走。
He did, but that did not stop Paul's constant grabbing.
他留下来了,但那也没能阻止保罗继续不断地抓我。
I was extremely shaken, surprised and scared.
我当时无比震惊也无比害怕,当时整个人都在发抖。
At one point he forcibly grabbed the back of my head so that I could not move and started kissing my face and my neck.
中间他还用力抓着我的后脑勺,这样他强吻我的脸我的脖子的时候我就无法动弹了。
I remember not wanting to say "Get off of me" because I didn't want to open my mouth to say anything
我记得,当时我连“放开我”都不想说了,因为我不想张开嘴说一句话,
because I didn't want him to be able to put his tongue in my mouth.
因为我不想让他把他的舌头伸进我的嘴里。
I had two options: do everything I could to wiggle away and avoid his pursuit, or punch the CEO of Guess.
当时我有两个选择:尽我所能摆脱并避开他的攻势,或者给这位Guess的CEO两拳。
So I decided to just wiggle away.
最后我选择了避开。
Then Paul insisted that he walk me up to my hotel room.
后来,保罗坚持要陪我走回我宾馆的房间。
I immediately declined.
我立刻拒绝了。
The only thing I was thinking is, If he touches me like that in public, I can't imagine what he'd try to do in private.
我当时唯一的念头就是,他在公共场合都敢那样摸我,简直不敢想象私下里他还会做出什么样的行为。
Thankfully, Yu Tsai stepped in and insisted he'd do it.
值得庆幸的是,蔡羽终于插手进来了,坚持他送我回去。
I was so relieved and felt like I had barely escaped.
我当时长吁了一口气,感觉自己仿佛逃过了一截。