To celebrate his girlfriend's birthday, Luke Fortune drove from a small town in Central Oregon to Portland,
为了庆祝女友的生日,卢克·福琼从俄勒冈州中部的一个小镇开车前往波特兰。
where he parked his car in a paid garage overnight.
夜里他花钱把车停在车库。
The next morning, he discovered that the car's window had been smashed,
第二天早上,他发现汽车的窗户碎了,
along with his dreams for the future: His backpack and computer were gone.
一起破碎的还有他对未来的梦想:他的背包和电脑也不见了。
"Everything important to me was on that computer," said Fortune, 21, who is studying to become a paramedic.
21岁的福琼正在学习护理,他说:“对我来说,一切重要的东西都在那台电脑上。”
"My classwork, every paper I’d written, and all the programs I needed for my paramedic tests.
“上面有我的功课,我的每一篇论文,还有护理人员测试所需的所有程序,
Every letter I was working on for job applications. I felt sick."
我的每一封求职信,我非常难过。”
If your laptop gets stolen, here's how you can protect your data from thieves.
如果你的笔记本电脑被偷了,以下是保护你的数据免于窃取的方法。
Two days after the theft, another young man was standing outside his apartment, also in Portland.
同样是在波特兰,盗窃发生两天后,另一个年轻人站在公寓外。
Masoud Almazrouei, 2 9, was an exchange student from the United Arab Emirates.
29岁的Masoud Almazrouei是阿拉伯联合酋长国的交换生。
He had been approached by a man who said he had a computer for sale. Only $200.
有个男人来找他,说他有一台电脑要卖,只需200美元。
Almazrouei, who had been in the United States for only a year, admits now that he was naive.
Almazrouei只在美国待一年,现在承认自己很天真。
But he needed a computer, so he bought it, took it home, and turned it on.
但是他需要一台电脑,所以他就买了一台,带回家然后打开。
Within seconds, he saw files and photographs.
几秒钟之内,他就看到了文件和照片。
"I wondered who would sell a computer with all of this on it," he said.
他说:“我在想,谁会卖一台里面有这些文件的电脑呢?”
"I realized it could be stolen." Almazrouei found what appeared to be the owner's cell phone number and called it.
“我意识到这台电脑可能是从别人那里偷的。”Almazrouei找到了疑似失主的手机号码,并拨通了。
"This guy with a thick accent told me he had my computer," Fortune said.
福琼说:“这个带着浓重口音的家伙说他的电脑在我这里。”
"He told me the story and said it was his fault. I thought it was a scam.
“他将这个故事告诉我,说是他的错,我以为那是一个骗局。
I told him if he really had the computer, he should take it to the police."
我告诉他,如果他真的有电脑,应该交给警察。”
Soon after, a police officer called Fortune to say that a man had dropped the computer off and had said he was sorry.
不久,一名警察打电话给福琼,说有个人掉了台电脑,并说他很抱歉。
He passed along the man's number.
福琼拨通了那个人的电话。
Fortune called and thanked Almazrouei and insisted on paying him a reward of $200, the money he was out.
福琼在电话里向Almazrouei表示感谢,并坚持要给他200美元作为报酬。
Almazrouei refused. He said it was his mistake to buy the computer from someone he didn't know.
Almazrouei拒绝了,他表示从陌生人那里买电脑是他的错。
More important, he said, it was his honor and duty as a Muslim to return the property to the rightful owner.
更重要的是,身为一名穆斯林,将财产归还给合法的物主是他的责任。
"I saw a photo of this man in his paramedic uniform," Almazrouei said. "They help people. He is a good man.
Almazrouei说:“我看到了这名男子身穿医护服的照片,“他们帮助人们,他是个好人。