"What! You do not mean bodies?"
"什么!你莫非说的是些尸体?"
"Ay, bodies, Watson. We should be rich men if we had 1000 pounds for every poor devil who has been done to death in that den.
"唉,是尸体,华生。如果我们能够从每一个在那个烟馆里被搞死的倒霉蛋身上得到一千镑,我们就成为财主啦。
It is the vilest murder-trap on the whole riverside,
这是沿河一带最险恶的图财害命的地方,
and I fear that Neville St. Clair has entered it never to leave it more. But our trap should be here."
我担心内维尔·圣克莱尔进得去,出不来。可是我们的圈套应当就设在这儿。"
He put his two forefingers between his teeth and whistled shrilly
他把两个食指放在上下唇之间,吹出尖锐的哨声,
a signal which was answered by a similar whistle from the distance,
远处也回响起同样信号的哨声,
followed shortly by the rattle of wheels and the clink of horses' hoofs.
不久就听到一阵辘辘的车轮声和得得的马蹄声。
"Now, Watson," said Holmes, as a tall dog-cart dashed up through the gloom,
"现在,华生,"福尔摩斯说。这时一辆高轩的双轮单马车从暗中驶出,
throwing out two golden tunnels of yellow light from its side lanterns.
两旁吊灯射出两道黄色的灯光。
"You'll come with me, won't you?" "If I can be of use."
"你愿意跟我一块去吗?" "如果我对你有所帮助的话。"
"Oh, a trusty comrade is always of use; and a chronicler still more so.
"噢,靠得住的伙伴总是有用的;记事的人更没有说的了。
My room at The Cedars is a double-bedded one."
我在杉园的房间里有两张床铺。"
"The Cedars?" "Yes; that is Mr. St. Clair's house. I am staying there while I conduct the inquiry."
"杉园?""是的,那是圣克莱尔先生的房子。我进行侦查时就住在那里。"
"Where is it, then?" "Near Lee, in Kent. We have a seven-mile drive before us."
"那么,它在什么地方?""在肯特郡,离李镇不远。我们要跑二十来里路。"
"But I am all in the dark." "Of course you are. You'll know all about it presently.
"我可是一无所知啊。""当然是喽,所有的情况,不久你就会明白的。
Jump up here. All right, John; we shall not need you. Here's half a crown.
跳上来吧!好了,约翰,不麻烦你了,这是半克朗。
Look out for me to-morrow, about eleven. Give her her head. So long, then!"
明天等着我,大约十一点钟。放开马缰绳吧,再见。"