How to ‘cook like a woman’ in a man’s world
如何在男人的世界里“像个女人一样做饭”
By Dominique Crenn
文/多米尼克·克伦
In 2012 Dominique Crenn became the first woman in the U.S. to receive two Michelin stars,
2012年,多米尼克·克伦成为了美国首位获得米其林二星主厨称号的女性,
blazing a new trail for women in the male-dominated restaurant world.
为在男性主导的餐饮世界打拼的女性开辟了一条新的道路。
In addition to her award-winning flagship restaurant Atelier Crenn,
除了她屡获殊荣的旗舰餐厅Atelier Crenn外,
the San Francisco–based chef also operates a second restaurant, Petit Crenn,
这位旧金山厨师还经营着另外一家餐厅Petit Crenn,
and plans to open a third, Bar Crenn, in March.
她还计划在3月份开设第三家店Bar Crenn。
She is part of Firsts, an ongoing series about women who have shattered glass ceilings in their fields.
她也参演了电视剧Firsts,这是一部目前正在热播,讲述各行各业的女性如何打破她们所在行业的女性职业天花板的电视剧。
Both of my parents came from farming families in Brittany, France.
我父母都出身法国布列塔尼的农民家庭。
I spent a lot of time on the farm during the holidays and was fascinated by the connection with the soil and earth.
我假期有很长时间都是在农场度过的,而且,我对人与土地以及这个世界的联系非常着迷。
My dad’s best friend was a food writer and critic,
我父亲的好友是一位美食作家兼美食评论家,
so I was very lucky to eat in beautiful Michelin-starred restaurants growing up.
所以,在成长的过程中,我有幸能在美丽的米其林星级餐厅用餐。
Food is a huge part of French culture, so my mom and grandmother were both great cooks.
美食是法国文化的重要组成部分,我母亲和我祖母都是美食行家。
My mother used to take me to the farmers’ market every week.
曾经,我母亲每周都会带我去农贸市场。
When we were cooking together, it was not about learning a recipe—it was about the story behind the recipe.
我们一起下厨,但我们看重的不是学会了制作哪道菜 - 而是菜谱背后的故事。
She spent hours and hours in the kitchen, and I loved being there with her.
母亲会在厨房里一待就是好几个小时,我也喜欢和她在一起。
But no one in my family did it professionally.
但我家里还没有一个人把下厨当职业。
As a young girl, being a chef did not cross my mind—I wanted to conquer the world.
小时候,我根本没想过要当厨师 - 我想的是征服这个世界。
I wanted to play with my brother and the boys.
我想和我哥哥以及男孩子一起玩。
I wanted to be a famous photographer.
我想当一名著名的摄影师。
Photography is all about catching a moment in time, telling stories and capturing emotion.
摄影讲究的是捕捉瞬间,讲故事,捕捉情感。
What I’m doing now is basically the same thing except I’m painting on the plate.
我现在做的事情的内涵和摄影其实差不多,只不过我采用的是在盘子上画画的形式。
Early in my career, I was told I shouldn’t try to work in a kitchen, that I should consider serving or managing instead.
刚开始当厨师的时候,大家都说我不应该跑到厨房里去工作,我应该考虑从事服务业或管理行业。
It was a sad narrative that was given to me, and it came from a society that didn’t know better.
他们传授给我的不过是一个悲伤的故事,而讲那些故事的人根本不比我更了解这个行业。
译文由可可原创,仅供学习交流使用,未经许可请勿转载。