Women always cook in the kitchen.
but to think a woman could be a chef was like, “No, there is no way. It’s too long. It’s too hard.”
但一想到女人去当厨师,就像是,“不,不可能。那太漫长了。也太艰难了。”
You have to really look at yourself and say,
你必须看着自己,对自己说,
“You know what? I’m going to do it on my own, and I’m not going to let anyone tell me yes or no.”
“听着,我就要凭自己的本事当一名厨师,成与不成,别人说了不算。”
I NEVER DOUBTED MYSELF when I opened my first restaurant.
开第一家餐厅的时候,我从未怀疑过自己。
You’ve got to give 100% of yourself until you know you’ve done it.
在知道自己做到了之前,你必须百分百地投入。
But it was still a struggle.
但过程还是很煎熬。
I opened Atelier Crenn in 2011, coming out of a time of crisis.
我是2011年开的Atelier Crenn,那个时候我的生意正值危机。
Nobody wanted to invest—and people told me they didn’t trust that as a woman I could carry it off.
没有人愿意投资 - 大家都说,他们不相信我一个女人能把餐厅开成功。
But I had a vision and I had to try, and I made it my mission to stay positive.
但我怀有梦想,,我必须尝试,我就把保持乐观当成我的使命。
Seven years later, I’m still here—and I’m expanding.
七年后,我还在这里 - 而我的生意也越做越大了。
I don’t know why it took them so long to give a female chef two Michelin stars in the U.S.,
我不知道美国为什么花了那么长时间才愿意给女性颁发米其林二星厨师的称号,
but awards are just awards, and it’s what you do with that recognition that defines who you are.
不过,称号也就是个称号,而真正决定你是谁的是你用这一肯定做了什么。
Every day you’ve got to go back to work and make sure the restaurant is busy.
每天你都得回去工作,确保餐厅每天都很忙。
Being the first just makes you realize they have a long way to go.
成为第一也会让你意识到他们还有很长的路要走。
There are many amazing chefs in this country who are women, and I don’t know why they’re not getting recognized.
这个国家有很多优秀的女性厨师,我不知道为什么她们没有得到认可。
The industry needs to change.
这个行业需要改变。
A critic was once quoted saying that I’m successful because I’m attractive and charismatic and cook like a man, whatever that means.
曾经,有人引用了一位评论家的话,他的原话是我很成功,因为我很有吸引力,很有魅力,下厨的时候像个男人,且不管他这话是什么意思。
I was shocked by the words and shocked that they were published.
我被他的这些话震惊倒了,同样令我震惊的是他的这些话竟然还被发表了。
The culture is toxic.
我们的文化是有毒的。
We have to work very hard to undo the things we’ve done so badly.
我们必须非常努力才能弥补我们做下的那些孽。
I look at children as the light at the end of the tunnel.
在我眼里,孩子就是那隧道尽头的灯光。
We have a responsibility to carve the way for them to live in a better world.
我们有责任为他们铺平道路,让他们能够享受更美好的世界。
My daughters love to cook,
我的女儿们也都很喜欢做饭,
but more than that, I hope I provide them an example of how to be a badass—and how to be kind, to be respectful, to ask questions and be curious,
但我更多的是希望我给她们树立了一个榜样,让她们知道如何做一个不好惹的人——如何做一个善良、尊重他人,爱问问题,好奇的人,
to understand that there are others in this world, to be a good listener and to be a good leader.
一个知道世界上还有其他人的人,一个善于倾听,善于领导的人。
译文由可可原创,仅供学习交流使用,未经许可请勿转载。