"I think you are a very bad man," said Dorothy.
多萝茜说:“我想你是一个很坏的骗子。”
"Oh, no, my dear; I'm really a very good man, but I'm a very bad Wizard, I must admit."
“啊,不是的,我的亲爱的;我必须承认我真正的是一个好人;但是我是一个笨拙的魔术师。”
"Can't you give me brains?" asked the Scarecrow.
“你可以给我脑子吗?”稻草人问。
"You don't need them. You are learning something every day.
“你用不着它。你每天在学习一些东西。
A baby has brains, but it doesn't know much.
一个初生的婴儿就有脑子,但是他不能立刻就知道许多东西。
Experience is the only thing that brings knowledge,
经验是带来知识的唯一有价值的,
and the longer you are on earth the more experience you are sure to get."
你在这世界上生活愈长久,你学到的东西就越多。”
"That may all be true," said the Scarecrow, "but I shall be very unhappy unless you give me brains."
“也许我可以相信,”稻草人说,“但是没有脑子我不会快乐,除非你给我一个脑子。”
The false Wizard looked at him carefully.
这个假魔术师默默地注视着他。
"Well," he said with a sigh, "I'm not much of a magician, as I said;
“好吧,”他叹着一口气说道,“我虽然不是像我夸口的是一个干练的魔术家;
but if you will come to me tomorrow morning, I will stuff your head with brains.
假如明天早晨你到我这里来,我将用脑子塞进在你的脑壳里。
I cannot tell you how to use them, however; you must find that out for yourself."
但是我不能够告诉你怎样地去运用脑子;你必须自己学会运用它。”
"Oh, thank you--thank you!" cried the Scarecrow. "I'll find a way to use them, never fear!"
“啊,谢谢你,谢谢你!”稻草人喊道。“不必担心,我会想出一个办法,来运用脑子!”
"But how about my courage?" asked the Lion anxiously.
“你会给我胆量吗?”狮子烦躁地问他。
"You have plenty of courage, I am sure," answered Oz.
“我相信你很有胆量,”奥芝回答说。
"All you need is confidence in yourself. There is no living thing that is not afraid when it faces danger.
“你所需要的是自信。在你遇见危险的时候,每一种生物都会害怕的。
The True courage is in facing danger when you are afraid, and that kind of courage you have in plenty."
真正的胆量,是不要胆怯,勇敢面对着危险,那种胆量,你是并不缺少的。”