Conversation A
对话A
Alex: Is taking messages really necessary? People can call back.
阿莱克斯:留话真的很重要吗?人们可以打回电话来啊。
Linda: Yes. Taking messages is necessary, Alex! They might have important information for me.
琳达:阿莱克斯,留个话很重要!他们可能有重要的信息给我。
Alex: I guess so. What should I write in the messages?
阿莱克斯:我想也是。我留话要记录些什么?
Linda: Write down people's names and phone numbers.
琳达:记下人们的名字和电话号码。
Alex: I can do that.
阿莱克斯:这我可以做到。
Linda: You can also ask why they are calling.
琳达:你也可以问为什么他们打电话过来。
Alex: OK. I can write that in the message, too.
阿莱克斯:好的。我会在信息中记录下这一点。
Conversation B
对话B
Ben: Hi, Alex. How was your day?
本:嗨,阿莱克斯。今天怎么样?
Alex: It was OK. But I made a mistake. Now Linda is mad at me again.
阿莱克斯:还好吧。但是我犯了个错误。琳达又生我的气了。
Ben: Really? What did you do?
本:真的吗?你做了什么?
Alex: I watched the office when she went out.
阿莱克斯:她出去的时候我盯着办公室来的。
Ben: She can't be mad about that!
本:她不会对这一点生气的!
Alex: No. She's mad because she didn't receive her phone messages.
阿莱克斯:是啊。她很生气是因为她没有收到电话留言。
Ben: Why not?
本:为什么没有?
Alex: I didn't take any messages.
阿莱克斯:我没有帮她留话。
Conversation C
对话C
Ben: Why not?
本:为什么不留?
Alex: I wasn't sure how. But Linda showed me.
阿莱克斯:我不确定该怎么留话。但是琳达教了我。
Ben: I learned about phones today, too.
本:我今天也学到了和电话有关的事情。
Alex: What did you learn?
阿莱克斯:你学到了什么?
Ben: First, I learned to answer phones at work. Then I learned how to put people on hold.
本:首先,我学了回复工作相关的电话。然后我学会了怎么让人不挂断电话等候。
Alex: How do you do that?
阿莱克斯:你要怎么做呢?
Ben: You just say, "Please hold for a minute."
本:你只要说“请稍等一下”就可以了。
Alex: Now I can do that, too.
阿莱克斯:现在我也会了。